What about this scenario?

vidiego

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hey! I’ve gone so long without logging in…

Scenario: red vs blue

So… red in possession of the ball and attacking inside the opposite 22… ruck forms and the red SH passes the ball to red nº10, who is waiting for a drop goal attempt.The attempt is partially blocked by a blue defender which was completely legal (behind left foot in the ruck, waiting until the ball was outside, etc)… the ball continues to travel but now is not on target and it misses the post and goes over the dead-ball-line. Decision?

1- 22m drop-out to blue
2- 5m scrum to blue
3- 5m scrum to red
If it is a scrum, where is the mark?

Saludos!

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Taken dead by defending team from outside of the in-goal - 5m scrum attack, right?
Awaiting confirmation from someone who actually knows what they're talking about :)

Edit:
[LAWS]22.11 Ball Dead In-Goal
When the ball touches the touch-in-goal line or the dead ball line, or touches anything or
anyone beyond those lines, the ball becomes dead.
If the ball was played into in-goal by the
attacking team, a drop-out shall be awarded to the defending team. If the ball was played
into in-goal by the defending team, a 5-metre scrum shall be awarded and the attacking
team throws in the ball.
[/LAWS]

Very happy with my decision, thanks.

Last edited:

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Yeah scrum 5.

It happened in a game not so long ago, NZ v Ireland.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Scrum 5 red put in, & in a line from where it crossed the Dead ball line ........ Although I'm not 100% on the line TBH

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
"touched by blue, scrum 5 red ball"

while trotting over to the mark, sympathetic nod to the hapless blue defender, who will never know whether he saved a drop-goal, or gave away a needless 5m scrum.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
5m Scrum to Red. The mark in line with where the ball went dead.

The ball was effectively made dead by Blue - the same as if Blue had passed it back to a No 10 standing the wrong side of the DBL. Don't laugh, it happened in a game I reffereed. The defending No 10 was so terrified of having another kick charged down, that to give himself more space he'd stepped back over the DBL.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
5m Scrum to Red. The mark in line with where the ball went dead.

The ball was effectively made dead by Blue - the same as if Blue had passed it back to a No 10 standing the wrong side of the DBL. Don't laugh, it happened in a game I reffereed. The defending No 10 was so terrified of having another kick charged down, that to give himself more space he'd stepped back over the DBL.

oops! it's not who makes it dead that matters - it's who originally took it in goal.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
oops! it's not who makes it dead that matters - it's who originally took it in goal.
OK, I should have worded that better, but in both examples it was the same team.

In the OP, defending Blue team effectively put it in goal (admittedly not deliberately) and it went dead. 5m scrum.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
OK, I should have worded that better, but in both examples it was the same team.

In the OP, defending Blue team effectively put it in goal (admittedly not deliberately) and it went dead. 5m scrum.

you described how it went over the DBL accidentally, but you didn't say who took it in goal.

vidiego

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
So, what really matters is who brings the ball inside the in-goal, right?
And what about this scenario?:
Red vs blue
For some strange reason the red team has the ball in possession but is inside their own 22m... maul is formed, red SH passes the ball to 10 red which is inside the in-goal… the pass is horrible and the ball bounces inside the in-goal… blue 6 collects the ball and starts to run toward the posts but steps on the dead-ball-line.

The decision is still 5 m scrum attack team, right?

Saludos!

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
And what about this scenario?:
Red vs blue
For some strange reason the red team has the ball in possession but is inside their own 22m... maul is formed, red SH passes the ball to 10 red which is inside the in-goal… the pass is horrible and the ball bounces inside the in-goal… blue 6 collects the ball and starts to run toward the posts but steps on the dead-ball-line.

The decision is still 5 m scrum attack team, right?

Saludos!

Scrum 5 attacking ball and the 6 gets subbed for not scoring

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
....... sympathetic nod to the hapless blue defender, who will never know whether he saved a drop-goal, or gave away a needless 5m scrum.

Attempting to stop the drop goal is always the priority, as a coach I'd always want to encourage attempters. There rarely are any occasions when you wouldn't want to stop the kicked attempt ....

One exception is to let them do a " Dunning " if they wish ! (Legendary status arrives).

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
you described how it went over the DBL accidentally, but you didn't say who took it in goal.
I can see that now. :biggrin: It was passed back to him from a ruck or maul approx 5m out. IIRC he'd had a couple of kicks charged down previously, and the poor sod was copping some stick. He copped a bit more after this incident.

Correct. If it's any consolation this will click ... eventually. :biggrin:

... Red vs blue. For some strange reason the red team has the ball in possession but is inside their own 22m... maul is formed, red SH passes the ball to 10 red which is inside the in-goal… the pass is horrible and the ball bounces inside the in-goal… blue 6 collects the ball and starts to run toward the posts but steps on the dead-ball-line. The decision is still 5 m scrum attack team, right?
Correct again. Red put the ball in goal and it went dead. Ie 5m scrum to Blue.

If Blue had kicked it into in-goal and Red had done exactly the same, it would be a 22m Drop Out.

Ricardowensleydale

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Hand up if you ever scored a "try" over the DBL...........just me then?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If the defenders put the ball into in-goal and an attacker makes it dead other than by charging down a kick (or scoring a try, of course) the law is silent. For example: Blue 9 passes back to Blue 10 who fails to catch it (no knock-on); Red 7 tries to pick up the ball on the bounce but crosses the DBL before he can ground it.

In practice I would treat it the same as a charge down: 5m scrum.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Hand up if you ever scored a "try" over the DBL...........just me then?

No, but was AR in a seniors game where from the blue kick-off, blue player runs through, catches the kick-off on the full, beats a couple of gold players, grounds the ball and turns with hands in the air waiting for team mates to smother him with congratulations only to see gold player pick up the ball to start running back up field. Old mate had "scored" his superb "try" on the 5m line.