What is a high tackle in RL?

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
I can tell you that it dates from 1912, but I don't know why it was introduced.

Remind me, do you have a law book from anywhere reasonably close to 1895? I also love history of laws and it'd be interesting to get an idea of what the original Northern Union laws would have looked like.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Remind me, do you have a law book from anywhere reasonably close to 1895? I also love history of laws and it'd be interesting to get an idea of what the original Northern Union laws would have looked like.
1879 and 1908. There was a major re-write in 1892. To fill in specific gaps I can use Royds' History of the Laws which covers the year dot up to 1948.

If you find yourself in Twickenham some time, you might be able to go into the Reference Library and look at the old law books. Is there a Rugby League Museum anywhere?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

There used be a very good website called rl1908.com. It no longr exists, however, I have got some pages saved from it, you might find this interesting..

A Motor Car Compared To A Bullock Wagon

Sean Fagan of RL1908.com
Aptly, the decision by the Northern Union (English Rugby League) in 1906 to introduce the 13-a-side and play-the-ball rules, was made at The George Hotel in Huddersfield - the same rooms where the code was formed in 1895.

1906-large.gif

Headline news in The Yorkshire Post

The meeting held the night before (June 12, 1906) saw the introduction of rules that forever distinguished Rugby League from Rugby Union. The first official competition matches were played on September 1.

From their first days, the officials of the NU set about introducing on-field rule changes to improve upon those of the Rugby Football Union.
The primary incentive for reform of the playing rules came from the need to compete for footballers and spectators with soccer. No doubt being free from the shackles of the intransigent RFU also encouraged the bringing forward of new ideas at every opportunity.
The Athletic News
July 1903

When the Northern Union [Rugby League] was formed, we ventured to comment on the objects of the new organisation, and give a little advice to those connected with the management of which the following is an extract:
"The game, to be attractive, must be 'open' — that is, there must be more passing, running, and kicking, and less scrummaging.
"To effect this, and at the same time lessen the expenses, we would recommend that the number of players be reduced to 12 a-side, and the division to be depleted should be the forwards.
"Then the 'line out' might be done away with, and a 10yds scrummage formed whenever the ball goes into touch."
By the end of the first decade of professional rugby under the NU, the major changes made were the abolition of the line-out, half-backs being required to retire behind the scrum, and reduced points for penalty/field goals.
Two significant areas of the game though remained unreformed, and they continued to be the centre of much angst and disagreement:
1. What was the best number of men per team; and
2. How to continue play after a completed tackle.
At a meeting held on June 12, 1906, the NU introduced two changes that resolved these issues, and that forever separated rugby league from rugby union. Ironically, it was the tour of the New Zealand rugby union team to Britain in 1905 that generated the final impetus to introduce the rule changes.
The first calls to reduce the number of players for each side were made under the RFU era, before the split of 1895. Support for the change was strongest amongst the Northern clubs, and the RFU decreed that anything less than 15-a-side amounted to professionalism - and therefore expulsion or suspension for any clubs and footballers involved.
Under the NU, trial matches saw various numerical combinations tried. County matches in the early 1900s were played with 12-a-side, as was the first ever International contest (England v Other Nationalities) in April 1904. At the same time, most "Work competitions" comprised clubs using 12-a-side teams.
Reducing from 15-a-side made teams and clubs easier to form, and in the case of the elite level, more affordable to fund player payments and expenses.
Those arguing for reduced player numbers had more support after a deadly-dull Challenge Cup Final in 1903 between Halifax and Salford. Before a record crowd of over 32,000 at Headingley, only one try was scored in a 7-0 victory for Halifax.
Since the 1800s, the laws of both rugby codes had required a set scrum to be formed everytime a player was tackled to the ground or held (unable to pass the ball). Much of the game was consumed by scrummaging contests instead of open play.
By the 1905 season, the NU was arguably going into decline, and was losing its battle against soccer for support and players. Unlike in soccer and cricket, the spectators rarely saw the ball in rugby matches - under the NU or the RFU.
The visit of the All Blacks that winter finally provided the NU with the solution, and the motivation, to make dramatic changes.
The New Zealanders showcased across Britain an attacking style of rugby that had been developing in the colony, and to a lesser extent in NSW and Queensland - where players would refuse to fall with the football in hand, always looking for a support player, seeking to continue the movement and attack the opposition line.
Their objective was to avoid scrums and to keep the play continuous, and to wear down opponents with rapid passing movements and spectacular back play.
As a result, the All Blacks attracted supporters to their matches in their tens of thousands. Their financial success made a lasting impression upon the NU.
To bring about "All Blacks style rugby" on a weekly basis amongst their own club footballers, the NU reduced the number of players on each team from 15 to 13, to create more space for attacking rugby. They also introduced a second reform to mimic the All Blacks preference to avoid scrums - the NU introduced the play-the-ball (in effect a quickly formed and highly visible/open two-man scrum).
Had the decisions of June 12, 1906, not been made by the NU, rugby league may well have withered away.

The changes also proved to be well-timed, as the NU game was taken up in Australia and New Zealand in 1908. By far the greatest reason that rugby league gained such rapid acceptance and popularity in Sydney and Brisbane was the speed of the game in comparison to rugby union.
While the NSWRL was embroiled in internal ructions throughout 1909 that threatened to end its existence, the on-field action ensured the code survived. The Referee said ‘what has so far saved the League from itself is that the game it controls is spectacular, and therefore popular when played properly.'
The Sydney Morning Herald observed that ‘the difference between the new rugby and the old rugby is as a motor car compared to the bullock wagon.'

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
There used be a very good website called rl1908.com. It no longr exists, however, I have got some pages saved from it, you might find this interesting..
It was an interesting site, and apparently Sean Fagan got fed up with the effort involved in providing a service that nobody was prepared to pay for. I did not always agree with his views on the history of rugby. The article you quote illustrates one aspect of this.

Since the 1800s, the laws of both rugby codes had required a set scrum to be formed everytime a player was tackled to the ground or held (unable to pass the ball). Much of the game was consumed by scrummaging contests instead of open play.

Here are the relevant parts of the 1871 Laws[Laws] 10. A tackle is when the holder of the ball is held by one or more players of the opposite side.
11. A scrummage takes place when the holder of the ball being in the field of play puts it down on the ground in front of him and all who have closed round on their respective sides endeavour to push their opponents back and by kicking the ball to drive it in the direction of the opposite goal line.
18. In the event of any player holding or running with the ball being tackled and the ball being fairly held he must at once cry down and there put it down.
[/Laws]

Some of you may remember the term "loose scrum" which eventually became the "ruck". In the 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century there was no distinction between loose and set scrums. In both cases you simply put the ball on the ground, players gathered round and started shoving. There was no concept of forming a scrum and then throwing the ball in, so the use of the term "set scrum" is an anachronism which gives a misleading impression of what actually happened. Today we would call it a ruck, though we would not be impressed by what the players were trying to achieve. Heeling the ball out was regarded as cowardly in the early days.

By coincidence, the distinction between loose and set scrums first appeared in the 1905 Laws.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
By coincidence, the distinction between loose and set scrums first appeared in the 1905 Laws.
Hello OB,
Here in France the distinction is still currently used.

Set scrum in french is mêlée ordonnée (or mêlée fermée)
The ruck is still called mêlée spontanée (or mêlée ouverte)
Source : Francerugby website

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Does the referee actually use those terms, or does he shout "Ruck"?
Well they are the official terms, as written in both the iRB Law book and the FFR version of same.
Law 16 mêlée spontanée Law 20 mêlée ordonnée
Mostly the ref will simply say "mêlée", "mêlée fermée" or "mêlée ouverte".
While it is getting more common to hear "ruck" being called, now-a-days (influenece of TV no doubt) I don't think it's yet the norm. (I'm hope Loïc will correct me, if I've gotten that wrong.)

ps However Law 17 both as written and as used commonly by ref during the match it's "maul".

Last edited: