What is a high tackle in RL?

Andy P

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Have watched a bit of league on tele recently and wanted to understand what constitutes a high tackle? Reason for asking is that there appears to be long passages of play were players just crash into each other and any hope of an off load is killed off by a smother tackle around shoulder/head height.

There appears to be little incentive to keep the ball alive as a result. The regular stops appear to allow players longer on the pitch before they tire and and fewer holes in the defensive line.

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
You're trying to kill the offload so as to prevent more gain in ground with in the tackle. You have 6 tackles to score, with most teams kicking on the 5th. It is actually a much faster game than rugby union with over 50% of ball in play. It's meant to be a fast game with a lot of possession each way.

As to answer the other question, around the neck. You can come over the top of the shoulders from what I've been told and that's ok, but once it's around the neck it's high.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
It is actually a much faster game than rugby union with over 50% of ball in play.
This is a statistic that I have challenged in the past. It does not count the ball as being out of play between a tackle and open play via a play the ball. That may only take a couple of seconds, but with 400 tackles per game it amounts to 15 minutes or more.

It is argued that the ball is not actually dead (you can knock on, for example) but there are so few options and so many restrictions that it is nothing like open play.

On the other hand in Union, the clock does not stop during scrums, which take a lot longer than in League.

All this really means is that you are not comparing like with like.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I ain't going to lie - I watched all the Magic Weekend games this weekend, and enjoyed them a lot.
I also thought the commentators were a step up from the ****wits we normally get doing commentary on the Union games.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Andy P said:
Have watched a bit of league on tele recently and wanted to understand what constitutes a high tackle? Reason for asking is that there appears to be long passages of play were players just crash into each other and any hope of an off load is killed off by a smother tackle around shoulder/head height.

There appears to be little incentive to keep the ball alive as a result.

Keeping the ball alive with an offload is absolutely deadly in our code. Deadly.

See, while players are trying to tackle someone, the defenders are all starting to retreat to make it easier for them to be 10m when the ball is next played, and if the ballcarrier suddenly manages to get an arm free and offload, the player who takes the offload is now in ~10m of space and the defenders are all disorganised and going the wrong way.

This is why the first man in is coached to go high and lock the ball up, with supporting tacklers then taking the ballcarrier to ground - 3m of territory is usually worth giving up to be sure you can lock the ball up and have a decent chance of putting the ballcarrier down on his back so he can't play it quickly.

Now, from the attackers' point of view, the 10m law and no contest for possession after the tackle has been effected means that it's possible to gain some risk-free ground (although not to win the match unless the other team's forwards literally cannot tackle) with one pass to a fat bloke who then takes the ball into contact, looking to drive the defenders backwards and get a quick play-the-ball. If you hang onto the ball, it then can't be taken off you until after you've played it - if you offload early in the tackle count and it gets dropped, then you've just given up 2/3 chances to get that much more free field position and you've lost possession, which is far harder to get back when the ball isn't being constantly competed for - so it doesn't necessarily pay to be looking for the offload all the time, it has to be tactically worth the risk and you have to be physically able to offload the ball in the face of opponents who are desperately trying to stop you from doing just that.

I also thought the commentators were a step up from the ****wits we normally get doing commentary on the Union games.

Eddie and Stevo are reasonably up to speed with the laws (and not the laws as they were 20 years ago, either), and they're also not afraid to say "that was a good decision" when the referee makes a good decision, and if they think the referee's had a good (or extremely good) game after ~70 minutes, they're not afraid to say so. They get a few things wrong but they're commentators - and because they've got half a clue, it makes them much more credible when they do have a go at a referee, because any semi-regular watcher knows that they're quite prepared to praise a good performance when they see one.

Last week, in the 70th minute, all four commentators and analysts spent ~45 seconds of downtime analysing a recent knock-on decision and concluded that it was probably a very poor one, and they all agreed on it. A couple of minutes later, after play had resumed...

"Ben Thaler's had an excellent game tonight, hasn't he?"
"You're not wrong there, he's really let the game flow but he hasn't been afraid to penalise when necessary."

And then they moved on. Can you imagine Stuart Barnes seeing a decision that was so obviously wrong that he felt the need to complain about it for nearly a minute, and then shortly afterwards being prepared to put that aside and say that the referee had had an excellent game? A lot of people within our code complain about Eddie and Stevo, but for me it can only be a case of other people's grass always being greener.

This is a statistic that I have challenged in the past. It does not count the ball as being out of play between a tackle and open play via a play the ball. That may only take a couple of seconds, but with 400 tackles per game it amounts to 15 minutes or more.

It is argued that the ball is not actually dead (you can knock on, for example) but there are so few options and so many restrictions that it is nothing like open play.

The defenders are working to get onside; the tacklers are working to, ahem, control the tackle to their advantage and then to get square at marker; the tackled player is working to get free and play the ball; his team-mates are working to get in position for the next phase. It's not like everyone's standing around waiting for something to happen; and if they are, the referee's probably about to ping someone for holding down.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Keeping the ball alive with an offload is absolutely deadly in our code. Deadly.

See, while players are trying to tackle someone, the defenders are all starting to retreat to make it easier for them to be 10m when the ball is next played, and if the ballcarrier suddenly manages to get an arm free and offload, the player who takes the offload is now in ~10m of space and the defenders are all disorganised and going the wrong way.

This is why the first man in is coached to go high and lock the ball up, with supporting tacklers then taking the ballcarrier to ground - 3m of territory is usually worth giving up to be sure you can lock the ball up and have a decent chance of putting the ballcarrier down on his back so he can't play it quickly.

Another thing you will start to notice if you watch enough RL is the actions of the defenders on either side of the tackle.

The "next player out", that is the player who is marking the opponent who would have been next to receive the ball, will sometimes run in and slightly past the tackle so that he is in position to either prevent the ball carrier from offloading, or to intercept the ball if he does.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I thought Ben Thaler and the ARs handled the RCs for Hock, McGuiness and Tuson in the Saints v Wigan game very well.

Different from RU but spot on.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The defenders are working to get onside; the tacklers are working to, ahem, control the tackle to their advantage and then to get square at marker; the tackled player is working to get free and play the ball; his team-mates are working to get in position for the next phase. It's not like everyone's standing around waiting for something to happen; and if they are, the referee's probably about to ping someone for holding down.
Yes, the players may be doing something, but the ball is not in play.

The details do not really matter. I was making the point that ball-in-play statistics from the two games are calculated differently, and so should not be directly compared.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

There appears to be little incentive to keep the ball alive as a result. The regular stops appear to allow players longer on the pitch before they tire and and fewer holes in the defensive line.

To answer your question, in the Rugby League LotG, Section 15: Player's Misconduct is effectively their equivalent of our Law 10.4: Dangerous Play and Misconduct,

[LAWS]SECTION 15: PLAYER’S MISCONDUCT
1. A player is guilty of misconduct if he:

(b) when effecting or attempting to effect a tackle makes contact with the head or neck of an opponent intentionally, recklessly or carelessly.
[/LAWS]

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I was quite surprised that RL is allowed to knock the ball dead by hand (into dead ball or touch-in-goal). It was done about 5 times in the last 10 minutes of the State of Origin game.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I was quite surprised that RL is allowed to knock the ball dead by hand (into dead ball or touch-in-goal). It was done about 5 times in the last 10 minutes of the State of Origin game.

Where've you been for 20 years?:biggrin:

The bit of law that seem to cause some debate on Saturday's Magic Weekend was the ball not dead 'til it's hit the floor/line even though its over the line ie if it bouces in goal and hits a defender over the line but before hitting the floor than it a GL drop out as opposed to a 20m restart. Curious!

Ovey

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Where've you been for 20 years?:biggrin:

The bit of law that seem to cause some debate on Saturday's Magic Weekend was the ball not dead 'til it's hit the floor/line even though its over the line ie if it bouces in goal and hits a defender over the line but before hitting the floor than it a GL drop out as opposed to a 20m restart. Curious!

Yeah, my RL team Hull KR suffered as a result of this new law..... however we also profitted from a forward pass that wasn't picked up by the Ref, so we can't complain!

When the Red Red Robin comes bob, bob, bobbin' along.......

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Yeah, my RL team Hull KR suffered as a result of this new law..... however we also profitted from a forward pass that wasn't picked up by the Ref, so we can't complain!

When the Red Red Robin comes bob, bob, bobbin' along.......

That was a "mile" forward but a great pick up from Dobson to score.

The Hull FC fans looked shellshocked after Hodgson's winner - 30-16 up with 13 minutes to go - hoohoohoo :biggrin:

RLRef1984

Referees in England
Post Likes

Im quite happy with that remaining the way it is to be honest. I f a player slaps the ball dead they are going to lose possession via a goal line drop out and it gives a bit of equality on a kick through where its a lottery which way the balls going to bounce. The attackers have an advantage in being able to run on to the kick so if they arent quick enough to get on the end of it the defender shpuld have the right to hit it away.
Also unlike in RU if the ball is kicked along the floor to the ingoal and a defender picks it up he has to run it out and not ground it for a scrum back so if theres pressure they'll hit it dead. Cowardice perhaps but intelligent no need to get smashed for no reason but this wouldnt happen in RU

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Im quite happy with that remaining the way it is to be honest. I f a player slaps the ball dead they are going to lose possession via a goal line drop out and it gives a bit of equality on a kick through where its a lottery which way the balls going to bounce. The attackers have an advantage in being able to run on to the kick so if they arent quick enough to get on the end of it the defender shpuld have the right to hit it away.
Also unlike in RU if the ball is kicked along the floor to the ingoal and a defender picks it up he has to run it out and not ground it for a scrum back so if theres pressure they'll hit it dead. Cowardice perhaps but intelligent no need to get smashed for no reason but this wouldnt happen in RU

When I'm aware I'm reffing fresh RL converts I don't look forward to peep Penalty Try when they slap it dead in goal!

Not happened so far - yet! :wow:

RLRef1984

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yeah I saw the Karmeichal Hunt (that'll be spelt wrong) incident doing the exact thing in RU on YouTube oopsy

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
The usual spoonerism involves the initial letters of his name...

It surprised me when I first found out you couldn't knock the ball dead in Union, but it makes sense now I know that for you what matters is who put it in-goal, not who actually made it dead. Still not sure what the problem is with throwing the ball into touch, mind; that one seems like nothing so much as a law for the sake of having a law.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Still not sure what the problem is with throwing the ball into touch, mind; that one seems like nothing so much as a law for the sake of having a law.
I can tell you that it dates from 1912, but I don't know why it was introduced.

If it were allowed I cannot see it would be used often, but it might provide a lifeline for the last defender if he had no time to kick.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
but it might provide a lifeline for the last defender if he had no time to kick.

Maybe that's why it's banned...?

Bit of a girly panicy thing to do, not the sort of thing a proper chap would do, far better to grasp the ball and take your tackle like a man.