What not to do

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Saw this last season.

Last minute of the game - blatant spear tackle.

What TO do - Give a red card and cop the paperwork.

What NOT to do - Ignore it because it's "the last minute of the game."
Especially - when it's a schoolboys game.
Especially especially - when the tackled player is hurt.
Especially especially especially - When the tackled player is the son of a more senior referee. Who is watching.

I'm glad it wasn't me who pulled this bit of idiocy, but I did have to (with another ref, we weren't TJ's) go in and make sure that the ref did not get hit by either very angry father, coach or teammates. The other ref broke up the brawl that had started between the schools teams.

We all left mighty quick after that.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
...but I did have to go in and make sure that the ref did not get hit by either very angry father, coach or teammates.

How do you know the ref saw the incident?

No matter what the ref did (or did not do) it doesn't excuse this kind of behaviour.

If someone is unhappy with a referee's decision/performance there are procedures through which to make your complaint.

The Father (senior ref) really should have known better. I hope the ref put in an abuse form about them?

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I agree that the ref did not cause the issue, giving the red card would not have fixed the issue, given it was last minute. (Although it would have been the correct thing to do).

Other referees and coaches should know better, there are channels to deal with this sort of thing, and if ever involved in anything like this the referee should direct the clubs to their association / society to handle.

They should then (after leaving the game) phone an association official, explain what has happened, and as soon as possible make a report so that they have their side clearly recorded in case it is investigated.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If I was the father I'd have ripped the ref a new one too

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
We knew the ref saw it because it was blatant and he said he'd seen it. While a red card wouldn't have affected the outcome of the game, it would have meant an automatic suspension of a minimum of 3 weeks.

We all filed incident reports and I believe Dad was given a talking to by the union - he'd already apologised. It was just a really bad way to handle a serious incident, in an already niggly game.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
If I was the father I'd have ripped the ref a new one too
Why?

It's not the ref that causes a tip tackle?

All the ref can really do is deal out sufficient (hopefully) punishment afterwards?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
And if I'd been the ref I'd have ripped you one right back -and sod the paperwork.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Why?

It's not the ref that causes a tip tackle?

All the ref can really do is deal out sufficient (hopefully) punishment afterwards?

Ask me that question again when you become a parent.

If you don't treat my kids fairly then I'm happy to become involved.

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I've seen it happen more than once, especially when the kid is hurt. Parents just see red. Usually all that's needed is a "calm down or you will have to leave" and they realise they're being a goose and go check to see if their kid is okay. (Yes, according to the rules they shouldn't be on the pitch at all, but if they want to go look after their offspring and not have a go at anyone, I'm not going to get pedantic)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
How times have changed.

My mother would watch me get seven colors of shit beaten out of me (yes, Ealing, you) on the basis it would be a great learning experience.

She played very high level hockey, so that may have skewed her perspective.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
How times have changed.

My mother would watch me get seven colors of shit beaten out of me (yes, Ealing, you) on the basis it would be a great learning experience.

She played very high level hockey, so that may have skewed her perspective.

and then she would tell you to "man up", and that if you weren't getting beaten up, you weren't playing properly?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
"Well, you deserved it. i'd have hit you myself if I'd been playing you"

She got concerned when I broke my wrist. Other than that.... sport's a tough competitive business.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
An Aussie picks up a Kiwi on their grammar. :wow:

Now THAT is funny. :biggrin:

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Ask me that question again when you become a parent.

If you don't treat my kids fairly then I'm happy to become involved.
I have four kids.

Why would you not remonstrate more with the player that caused it?

Frustrated I possibly would be, annoyed, of course. Physical towards a person that could not have prevented it? Never.

That of course is different to watching my kid play in a game where a ref is allowing dangerous things to go on without sorting it, I would immediately request for them to be taken off, and if they didn't would go and take them off myself. Safety first!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That of course is different to watching my kid play in a game where a ref is allowing dangerous things to go on without sorting it, I would immediately request for them to be taken off, and if they didn't would go and take them off myself. Safety first!

Are we on the same page? Ref saw incident & declared it wasn't worth bothering with so late in the game. Or have I misread something?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How is abusing/assaulting the referee going to help?

Imagine finding child in middle of peadophile ring and policeman says "sorry its my lunch break". Abuse/assault is sometimes order of the day.