Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
under 21s match , league game { knock out match }

team A arrive with 15 players & 7 subs
if their regulation rules say that to have 7 subs
you must have at 1st incident a replacement 1 & 2 & 3.

20 mins into game
their nr 1 goes down injured .
game stopped & player taken off .
replacement comes on nr 16 & says ..ref i hurt my neck during warm up ,,ill have to go uncontested .

ref says , well what about nrs 17 & 18 { other front row replacements }
and they all say ,,ref were also injured & we have to go uncontested also

ref says ok 16 , you can come on & we go uncontested

question
would you let 16 come on & also leave teams entitlements of a full 7 spare men situation.

or would you say ,,sorry lads ,, but to have subs you know you must have front row cover
and you obviously dont ..so no subs at all will come on today .

other team have turned up with a bare 15 also ..

as im typing , im thinking
let them come on ,, keep score card as you feel other team will put in a complaint
and let local rugby branch / society ,, look into it

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Let them on, uncontested. Mark the score card with the time it went uncontested and why, and inform the competitions committee. It's not your problem past that.

It sounds contrived to me and I would expect the committee to take the same view. Were team A getting punished in the scrums?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Let them on, uncontested. Mark the score card with the time it went uncontested and why, and inform the competitions committee. It's not your problem past that.

It sounds contrived to me and I would expect the committee to take the same view. Were team A getting punished in the scrums?

whether or not you let a sub comes on will depend upon the competition rules, and whether man-off applies in that competition.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
What Phil E said regarding the number of replacements - it's not your business, but expect to be asked about it later.

There are competition-specific laws regarding going to uncontested scrums, though. Specifically some state that you lose a player if you opt for uncontested scrums.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I had a similar situation a few weeks ago. Red vs Green, with Red being the dominant scrum in the first half and building a healthy but not insurmountable lead. Second half comes around and Red makes a few changes in the forwards and Green begins to dominate the scrum. Green scores a few tries and now the game is very close.
Red tighthead, who was also the captain, informs me that he has hurt his ribs and can't compete in the scrum. I ask him to replace himself with one of his front row subs. He tells me the front row sub was his flanker who had been taken off with an injury of his own. I then inform Green that we have to go to uncontested scrums.

Not one minute later in open play do I see the Red captain (with "rib injury") make several tackles and hit a ruck or two. I question the extent of his injury and how he could not scrummage but tackling and rucking was fine?

I couldn't force him to scrummage so the rest of the game went uncontested. Red ended up holding onto their lead. I made note of it on the game sheet, but I don't think the society pursued it.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
That's a bit cheeky. If you're going to do this, at least have the decency to take off the guy who can 'no longer scrummage'!

Maybe handle it along the lines of "You seem confused, one moment you're too injured to scrummage, then next you're hitting rucks and tackling - the only explanation I can see for that is that you've got concussion and can't think straight. Off you go!" ;)

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
3.10 The referee’s power to stop an injured player from continuing
If the referee decides – with or without the advice of a doctor or other medically qualified person – that a player is so injured that the player should stop playing, the referee may order that player to leave the playing area. The referee may also order an injured player to leave the field in order to be medically examined.

I also think the captain is taking the p*iss "or has a head injury -possibly worse". Tell him to play it straight or get off.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
under 21s match , league game { knock out match }

team A arrive with 15 players & 7 subs
if their regulation rules say that to have 7 subs
you must have at 1st incident a replacement 1 & 2 & 3.

20 mins into game
their nr 1 goes down injured .
game stopped & player taken off .
replacement comes on nr 16 & says ..ref i hurt my neck during warm up ,,ill have to go uncontested .

ref says , well what about nrs 17 & 18 { other front row replacements }
and they all say ,,ref were also injured & we have to go uncontested also

ref says ok 16 , you can come on & we go uncontested

question
would you let 16 come on & also leave teams entitlements of a full 7 spare men situation.

or would you say ,,sorry lads ,, but to have subs you know you must have front row cover
and you obviously dont ..so no subs at all will come on today .

other team have turned up with a bare 15 also ..

as im typing , im thinking
let them come on ,, keep score card as you feel other team will put in a complaint
and let local rugby branch / society ,, look into it

16 comes on and says he has a neck injury are you really going to allow him to take the field?
He then tells you 17 & 18 are also injured.

16, 17 & 18 are all injured so none of those players will be taking part in the game.
If man off applies in that competition, continue uncontested with 14 players. If man off doesn't apply in that competition, 16, 17 & 18 still not allowed to take any part in the game, allow another sub (19-22) to come on, go uncontested and make appropriate notes on score sheet.

Bottom line for me is that if a player's injury is so bad he can't take part in a controlled set piece (say a neck injury as mentioned in another post), then I don't want him taking part in tackles, rucks and mauls.

Not sure if that approach would go down well up north but my main responsibility is player safety.

What would the ramifications be if a player told you he couldn't scrummage because of a neck injury and you said "OK, we will go uncontested but you can come on anyway", and that player was then seriously injured in a maul (neck injury)?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
16 comes on and says he has a neck injury are you really going to allow him to take the field?

16, 17 & 18 are all injured so none of those players will be taking part in the game.
If man off applies in that competition, continue uncontested with 14 players. If man off doesn't apply in that competition, 16, 17 & 18 still not allowed to take any part in the game, allow another sub (19-22) to come on, go uncontested and make appropriate notes on score sheet.

Bottom line for me is that if a player's injury is so bad he can't take part in a controlled set piece (say a neck injury as mentioned in another post), then I don't want him taking part in tackles, rucks and mauls.

Not sure if that approach would go down well up north but my main responsibility is player safety.

What would the ramifications be if a player told you he couldn't scrummage because of a neck injury and you said "OK, we will go uncontested but you can come on anyway", and that player was then seriously injured in a maul (neck injury)?

Spot on!

- - - Updated - - -

Spot on!