When did RU outlaw the shoulder charge

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Thanx, Womble. Now I can appreciate "scrying the entrails of the words".

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Phil, if "We all know what it means." then I'm happy to stop making my point. And yes, I coach "wrap" but then my kids aren't refereeing the game.

So the coach says wrap, the players say wrap, but you think it would provide clarity if the referee used a different word?
I don't get it?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
OK, "Uncle".

Rassie

Post Likes
In Ranties armchair world, that's foreplay ! :pepper:
Have you considered a game that will suite you with less violence and contact. Like Touch rugby or Bowls?

Definition of a shoulder charge according to League
Shoulder charge
A direct physical challenge by a defending player against the player with the ball. This may be used by a player rather than a tackle. A shoulder charge is most commonly used by forwards in an attempt to establish dominance over the opposing team's forwards.

And this?

Last edited:

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Have you considered a game that will suite you with less violence and contact. Like Touch rugby or Bowls?

Definition of a shoulder charge according to League
Shoulder charge
A direct physical challenge by a defending player against the player with the ball. This may be used by a player rather than a tackle. A shoulder charge is most commonly used by forwards in an attempt to establish dominance over the opposing team's forwards.

And this?

Would you like to answer withing the context of the laws of the game of Rugby union?

Rassie

Post Likes
Would you like to answer withing the context of the laws of the game of Rugby union?
But there is no definition for Union what it sees as a shoulder charge. So can you call it illegal if there is doubt what one sees a shoulder charge?

Dangerous charging - Defined as a tackle without holding onto the player.
It covers the tackler. But what about the ball carrier?

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
But there is no definition for Union what it sees as a shoulder charge. So can you call it illegal if there is doubt what one sees a shoulder charge?

[LAWS]Law 10.4 (a)
A player must not strike an opponent with the fist or arm, including the elbow, shoulder, head or knee(s).[/LAWS]My emphasis. The referee decides if it amounts to dangerous play.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes

See Ob's post the answer is there in the Law book. Yes the ref has to make the call, but it is there. Ball carrier or "tackler". The law's the law.

Rassie

Post Likes
[LAWS]Law 10.4 (a)
A player must not strike an opponent with the fist or arm, including the elbow, shoulder, head or knee(s).[/LAWS]My emphasis. The referee decides if it amounts to dangerous play.
It all depends on what your definition of punching and striking is.

IRB will do its huge favors when they start defining some of these terms. They define foul play but not union definitions of punching and others etc. As a push in the face can be a punch as well etc etc. A person bumping of another like we see 100 times a day might be a shoulder charge considering the players is going in low with his should trying to bump another guy

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
It all depends on what your definition of punching and striking is.

IRB will do its huge favors when they start defining some of these terms. They define foul play but not union definitions of punching and others etc. As a push in the face can be a punch as well etc etc. A person bumping of another like we see 100 times a day might be a shoulder charge considering the players is going in low with his should trying to bump another guy

Rassie me ol buggerlugs ....... sometimes you do yourself few favours, you can't prescribe in writing every eventuality in rugby & you should stop being so pedantic with your 'defining' quest. The Lawbook doesn't define a kung fu kick in the face ...... but trust me it isn't allowed either!

Last edited: