When is a ''punch'' NOT a ''punch''?

Mickman

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
A red player throws a "punch" at a blue player BUT does NOT connect.

How would you handle this situation?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
A red player throws a "punch" at a blue player BUT does NOT connect.

How would you handle this situation?

Impossible to tell without much more information or seeing it. Anything from play on to red card.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
This is one of the great paradoxes (paradoxi?) of rugby.

It is a tenet (Phil, tenet means any opinion, principle, doctrine, dogma, etc., especially one held as true by members of a profession, group, or movement.) of rugby that we should ignore "intent" particularly as it relates to foul play and only deal with the facts yet a fresh air swing is penalisable if we deem it as an intent to make contact.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I am prepared to take the occasional English lessons from certain members of this community (who have never heard of plain English); but definitely not from some Australian Bogan :nono:

.........and a tenet is a small tent :rolleyes:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I thought a tenet was someone who lived in a Council House.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Honestly, some folks have appaling spelling, those are tennents, them what lives in Housing.

Casey Bee

Referees in England
Post Likes
Honestly, some folks have appaling spelling, those are tennents, them what lives in Housing.

Tennents don't really live in the houses, they are very short term residents, usually turning up in groups of 24 mid morning, all having departed by the next morning.

tomsmith43

Post Likes
I had a similar situation a few weeks back. I saw a clenched fist and a player swing. I gave him a :noyc: and after the game I told him why, and he said that he hadn't connected, as far as I'm concerned, its still a punch.... not my problem if he missed his target!

bignij

Referees in England
Post Likes
Meanwhile back on Planet Earth...........I give them a :noyc: and tell them it's a good job they didn't connect or else it would be :norc: . :)

Mickman

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Impossible to tell without much more information or seeing it. Anything from play on to red card.

Yep that's my thought. Anywhere from Play-on to :norc: BUT I wouldn't be explaining my sanction (whatever it was) based on an ALMOST punch/ strike 10.4 (a) Punching or striking. A player must not strike an opponent with the fist or arm, including the elbow, shoulder, head or knee(s). Sanction: Penalty kick

So to be really pedantic.....can't sanction a player on intent ALONE. Otherwise where would it stop? Well, you intended to score a try but didn't quite get there.... oh well, PEEP TRY!!! :confused:

However I am thinking 10.4 (m) Acts contrary to good sportsmanship. A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship in the playing enclosure. Sanction: Penalty kick ?? Could pretty much cover ANYTHING any referee on anygiven day didn't like.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Yep that's my thought. Anywhere from Play-on to :norc: BUT I wouldn't be explaining my sanction (whatever it was) based on an ALMOST punch/ strike 10.4 (a) Punching or striking. A player must not strike an opponent with the fist or arm, including the elbow, shoulder, head or knee(s). Sanction: Penalty kick

So to be really pedantic.....can't sanction a player on intent ALONE. Otherwise where would it stop? Well, you intended to score a try but didn't quite get there.... oh well, PEEP TRY!!! :confused:

However I am thinking 10.4 (m) Acts contrary to good sportsmanship. A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship in the playing enclosure. Sanction: Penalty kick ?? Could pretty much cover ANYTHING any referee on anygiven day didn't like.

I'm with you on this one Mr Hughes.

This is the law ( 10.4(m) ) that I would apply to justify penalising a swing in the breeze.

If you RC a player for a swing and a miss and cite 10.4(a) on the report, the judiciary will chuck it out in less time than it takes to read the report as no striking or punching actually occurred.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Ask for advice in filling in the form from your society, they should be able to help with best wording, and the appropriate section(s) to quote.

The important thing is that you issue the card if such is required in the circumstances - chickening out of that because you aren't sure about the view the DP will take is a recipe for developing tension and an eventual loss of control of the whole game.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
So you guys are happy to wait till a guy loses his teeth just because the clearly intended punch missed?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I YC :yc: a fat lad in N&D L9 match last year. He swung a punch into a maul at gut height (there was plenty to aim at). Saw his arm go back but never saw it connect (or heard a yelp).

Had ten minutes (he needed it - fat get!) and came back on to a "behave for the remainder" lecture from LLP.

I have PK'd a swinging arm that went over the top of the "victim's" head before with suitable bollocking.