[In-goal] when is the ball in goal?

Baylion

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The view from behind the dead ball line line shows clear separation between ball and goal line.

I can confirm that the TMO DID look at it and was happy that AG got the call right.

Well actually he did. If you listen during TMO review at 46:47 on the game clock, you hear the last part of the TMO saying "... he kicked the ball", and AG replying "he didn't, he didn't" (which is correct, because the player missed the ball). Its moot in any case, AG was already playing advantage for offside by 4 Red.
I need to see fuller versions as none of the replays I've seen confirm any communication with the TMO for the first incident nor the TMO saying "... he kicked the ball" in the second

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
it must be otherwise how would we tell at an attacking charge down on or near the goal line what the restart will be.
As in the past, we judge by where the player is.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
As in the past, we judge by where the player is.

OB, I think that Ian is correct in that there is now a plane of goal (and DBL) like the plane of touch where the decision about who took the ball into touch or into in goal or dead for a catcher or player with a foot or feet in touch, in goal or over the dbl is not based on the player's position but is based on whether the ball broke the plane or not. I thought there was a clarification also that this would also apply to a call of mark inside the 22 in that the ball had to reach the plane of the 22 for a mark to be valid, as long as part of the player was in the 22.

It can be difficult for referees to decide because different logic applies to a player in the field of play catching a ball that has reached the plane of touch or reached the plane of goal or DBL as in all those cases (where the player is still in the fop) it is play on.