Where are you this weekend? 2014/15

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
In a game like that I would be wearing a minimum of long sleeved under armour and a thin pair of thinsulate gloves to enable me to write down any scores.

This is the right answer.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
PhilE, competitive match last night, played on the 3G as grass pitch unavailable :shrug:Fleet Air Arm won 44-20 in what was a forward dominated squad for them, the Western Region struggled to string phases of play together, tellingly in the 2nd half the 12 moved to flanker!!

I would agree with your later evaluation, I would of graded it around a 6-7 which is what the Army assessor thought was a fair comparison from what he normally sees.

All in all a better fixture than the RAF game lol

A few of the Navy headshed no doubt have sore feet/toes today after straying too close to the sideline, no ropes up to ensure space and I may of stood on a few toes along the line. Plus John Inverdale is short!

Glad you enjoyed it.
Did they look after you post match?

Also glad the FAA won :biggrin: FLY NAVY!

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Change of plan again - now going to do Chorley 1sts v West Park 2nds - I'll take a Level 9 Re-appointment any day!

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Did they look after you post match?

Short answer, NO.
Had to buy our own bloody pint after the game, must of spent too much on the VIP area....................... :shrug:the aftermatch plate of white mush was erm delicious :sarc:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Well they can wear hats, gloves and leggings these days can't they?

Ref would look pretty stupid in a scrum cap, but for those folically challenged, go for it! And no they can't wear gloves (waiting for the Welsh mafia to "quote" Sir Nige who did 2 seasons back) and as for the leggings, that was just to see who'll bite right? :wink:

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Hats yes, gloves no - only fingerless gloves

Pinky, what is the problem with a referee wearing gloves? You say its ok to wear fingerless gloves but why not full coverage? I have a set of Karrimor running gloves bought from Sports Direct for £4 that are awesome.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-liner-gloves-mens-907355?colcode=90735503

I know of a few referees in our circle that have issues with circulation in there hands, if by the end of the first half in freezing biting winds they are unable to move there fingers what use are they as a referee for the rest of the game if they are concentrating on warming there fingers up.

And this is generic, if a referee wore gloves and was then marked down in his report then all hell would be raised as to reasons why, similar along the lines of coloured boots, they have no impact at all on a referees ability to manage a game.

And no they can't wear gloves (waiting for the Welsh mafia to "quote" Sir Nige who did 2 seasons back)

Actually BFG he is still wearing them as recently as 02nd Jan for the Edinburgh v Glasgow game were I was 4th official, and he even asked his AR's were there gloves were!!! He summed it up as its bloody cold out there and no point in having cold hands to worry about.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Pinky, what is the problem with a referee wearing gloves? You say its ok to wear fingerless gloves but why not full coverage? I have a set of Karrimor running gloves bought from Sports Direct for £4 that are awesome.

I know of a few referees in our circle that have issues with circulation in there hands, if by the end of the first half in freezing biting winds they are unable to move there fingers what use are they as a referee for the rest of the game if they are concentrating on warming there fingers up.

And this is generic, if a referee wore gloves and was then marked down in his report then all hell would be raised as to reasons why, similar along the lines of coloured boots, they have no impact at all on a referees ability to manage a game.

Actually BFG he is still wearing them as recently as 02nd Jan for the Edinburgh v Glasgow game were I was 4th official, and he even asked his AR's were there gloves were!!! He summed it up as its bloody cold out there and no point in having cold hands to worry about.

& NO needs to use a pencil and a damp piece of paper ( sarc).

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

yep, i'm one of many with raynauds syndrome. middle of winter, i always wore fingerless gloves and never had any comments.

mind you, this was as a club ref - i only lasted three games with the society before my back flared up and i lost the ability to run. possibly this is something that only the societies have an issue with - maybe the players don't care?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
It's my turn to officiate the basement of local rugby with a 'friendly league' Div4 match, 3rds v 3rds.

TBH whilst I'm very accepting of 'taking my turn', I do find it quite a personal 'challenge' to pitch a refereeing contextuality to find the most suitable standard (ie... juggle Law v varing ability levels)

Too high, players fail to cope, too low and its a messy game. Still, I'd rather be doing it than sitting in the warm !

Ps...Matty's convinced me, I'm gonna get some of those gloves in case its wind chill factor of -2 !

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Well if tomorrow goes ahead depending on the weather I wont be at my first appointment nor my second but my third appointment for Saturday.

Initially due to be at Irvine on the West coast for a National 3 game, then reappointed to referee a U18 National semi--final however the home team hadnt even played there bloody quarter final!!! I'm now down in Hawick, circa 90min drive as AR1 for Hawick v Glasgow Hawks in a Premier 1 match.

Then sharpish back to Edinburgh for Society dinner night.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes

Was meaning players. Nothing wrong with ref wearing gloves, and no law against leggings, justa difficult sell if you've made some players take them off

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Windermere v wigton 2 hopefully on, my last match before an inguinal hernia repair. Hopefully back in 3 weeks. Any real experiences out there guys?

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
8 pick up is much quicker at the back of the scrum. General play is a second quicker. You will be fine Bisto

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Off to AR @St joes college Wednesday there's a big game on. Saturday I'm @ ipswich, Sunday im @Bury St Eds Ladies.

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Eccles v Wigton. With Sale Sharks at home Barton Bridge will be a car park!!