Where are you this weekend? 2016/17

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Right, I'll start it off.

This weekend I have a pre-season friendly Goole (L9) v Pontefract (L8).

I only did one 7s tournament over the summer however I have lost over 1 stone since April and am running 2-3 times a week so should be a bit quicker this year. Passed the YRS fitness test for my current level (and L7).

Lightest I've been since I stopped playing 19 years ago.

Thunderhorse1986

Referees in England
Post Likes
What is the fitness test and level for YRS? We have ours on Wednesday - YOYO intermittent recovery Level 1.

16.2 required for "Premier List" (Levels 7 and 6) and I think 14.4 for others...

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Did my first last Saturday :wink:

7's this Saturday and then 2 more pre-season games coming up.

Shifted 1.5 stone since end of last season got another 1.5 to go to reach my target for the end of Sept :knuppel2:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Shifted 1.5 stone since end of last season got another 1.5 to go to reach my target for the end of Sept :knuppel2:

New Year's resolution to lose 10kg. Only 12 to go :)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
What is the fitness test and level for YRS? We have ours on Wednesday - YOYO intermittent recovery Level 1.

16.2 required for "Premier List" (Levels 7 and 6) and I think 14.4 for others...

I got 15.6 and was told I'd passed however I can't recall what the target(s) were.

Below L10 the fitness test is not required which is strange as we have league rugby down to L11.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Did my first last Saturday :wink:

7's this Saturday and then 2 more pre-season games coming up.

Well done.

I came back from Portugal at Easter at bang on 15st with just my knickers on. I'd never been 15st in my life. I did 2 games in April and in the last game of the season I was knackered at half-time.

At work we run a "Steps for Life" competition during May, so a combination of that and "borrowing" my son's Fitbit gave me the gee up I needed. A change of job location also meant I could get up at the same time but have time to do 4-5km in the morning and still make it to work for 07h30.

Running isn't for everyone but so far I'm not too pissed off with it. See what the darker mornings bring? I even went running half a dozen time when I was on holiday in France over the last fortnight - bit steeper than round us plus having to wheeze bonjour every 1/2 mile takes it out of you.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Furness v Kendal 2, looking forward to a run out, did 2 sevens tournaments over the summer.
What is it with this fitness? I too joined a local Community running club over the summer to keep fit and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Always hated running but it is a means to an end now regularly doing 6 to 7k twice a week.
Would never have done that if I'd have run on my own.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Rugeley v Llongollen on Saturday.

Last edited:

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
Clifton v Hinckley for me this Saturday. First run out as a Panel AR since appointment at the end of last Season so looking forward to it. If the ref goes down I am AR 1 so would get in the middle at L4. I hope he doesn't trip over my leg at some point .... ��

Fitness testing in Exeter next week.

In case anyone is interested in the minimum levels required on YoYo for that they are:

National league 1 ref 17
National league 2 ref 16
National league AR 15.2

Apparently doing better than minimum is encouraged.

Just run 16.4 on a windy evening on grass in Gloucester so looking ok for a pass....

mark.lucas

Post Likes
Nothing for the next month or so, when the Senior season kicks in.

But have pity on us on out here in the Mid-Atlantic region e.g. round DC on the East Coast. I was at a Youth tournament (10s and 7s) two weeks ago. I arrived at 8AM and it was 29C. When I left at 4PM it was 39.5C and 60% humidity.

Rota was on every third match, and it took 30 minutes to recover and then 30 minutes relaxing / chatting / snacking before the next sauna fest. How we didn't land up with players suffering from heat exhaustion I don't know. Fitness wasn't an issue - survival was. Rugby is a winter sport!!!!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Nothing for the next month or so, when the Senior season kicks in.

But have pity on us on out here in the Mid-Atlantic region e.g. round DC on the East Coast. I was at a Youth tournament (10s and 7s) two weeks ago. I arrived at 8AM and it was 29C. When I left at 4PM it was 39.5C and 60% humidity.

Rota was on every third match, and it took 30 minutes to recover and then 30 minutes relaxing / chatting / snacking before the next sauna fest. How we didn't land up with players suffering from heat exhaustion I don't know. Fitness wasn't an issue - survival was. Rugby is a winter sport!!!!

MARR 7s in Richmond settled at 40.5 (105) degrees, high humidity, no breeze. Brutal.
It better let up by the end of August, because I don't fancy refereeing XVs in that on an artificial surface that's a sun trap. (Yes, James Madison University, that means you)

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
No bloomin' where. Injured (again). Knees, never the same again after you've knackered them once (or twice, three times......)

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
This weekend..

Pre-season "friendly" :biggrin:

Wath (L8) v Castleford (L9) relegated last year.

Let's hope this fixture actually takes place.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Capital Geographic Union AGM.

Since I am Discipline Chair and Referee Rep, I have to go. Joy abounds.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
nono.gif

Not very "family friendly" of you Dickie

:chair: :norc:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
nono.gif

Not very "family friendly" of you Dickie

:chair: :norc:

I know. It's a burden I have to bear. I'll replace it with a poor substitute. :(

Furniture - C03.jpg

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I shudder to think what might be found in your browser cache!!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Last Saturdays Friendly got moved and then cancelled :shrug:

This Sunday; "Trentham Twentieth anniversary Tens Tournament" :wow: