[Law] Where is the best place to find sanctions these days

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
With the changes/simplification (!) of the law book some of the sanctions for offences seem to have been removed - where would be the best place to find these?

For example Law 20 Penalty and Free Kick. Lots of laws defining how a penalty or free kick must be taken, but no details of the sanction if a team offends. 20.11 ..."The ball must be kicked a visible distance....." OK, but what it it's not? Allow a retake, scrum to opposition? Free kick to opposition?

I think for this one I recall it's a FK, but in general where have all the sanctions gone?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
where have all the sanctions gone?
cf the WR Anthem:-

Where have all the sanctions gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
Someone's nicked them every one
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
. 20.11 ..."The ball must be kicked a visible distance....." OK, but what it it's not? Allow a retake, scrum to opposition? Free kick to opposition?

?

Where there is no sanction it's a requirement not an offence, so the of the ball hasn't moved then the PK hasn't been taken .. try again

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
With the changes/simplification (!) of the law book some of the sanctions for offences seem to have been removed - where would be the best place to find these?
I know this will sound flippant, but my honest answer would be the 2017 lawbook; you know the complicated one that most people understood, rather than the shortened "simplified" version which some struggle with. :Zip:

... For example Law 20 Penalty and Free Kick. Lots of laws defining how a penalty or free kick must be taken, but no details of the sanction if a team offends. 20.11 ..."The ball must be kicked a visible distance....." OK, but what it it's not? Allow a retake, scrum to opposition? Free kick to opposition? I think for this one I recall it's a FK, but in general where have all the sanctions gone?
I thought the general rule was "Any infringement by the kicking side results in an opposition scrum at the mark".

Where there is no sanction it's a requirement not an offence, so the of the ball hasn't moved then the PK hasn't been taken .. try again
I'm not 100% convinced that is correct. Depends on how pedantic you want to be - depends on the level of the game etc. Ie you probably wouldn't be as strict with an U15 school game as you would with a RWC Final etc.

Last edited: