where to get a NRL Whistle

fatscally

Post Likes
Hi.

The whistle used in the NRL has a distinctive tone. It sounds lower and almost as though it's slowing down.
Where can I get one of those? Mine sounds very Soccer-ish.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
That's because of how they hold it, not because of the whistle.

99% of the time it's an Acme Thunderer 58.5, however they cover the hole slightly to bring a deeper tone.

I must get that video of this done soon!

Hope that helps!

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Or do they use the Acme Thunderer 58? That has a different sound.

( Note - this is the one I use, prefer it, and find it easier to change the tone than the 58.5)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You don't use an Alpenhorn then? :biggrin:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
The difference is just a taper on the mouth piece.

However the RL refs mostly use a cover over too, in order to control the tones they get.

Glad you found it :)

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Agreed that they nearly all use the metal 58.5, but one of the refs at the U13, 14, 16 Cultural Exchange in QLD was using a plastic acme which got a good sound. Gerard Sutton was using a plastic acme in the Cowboys v Broncos match last Friday. Apparently they're easier to get a good tone out of. I've never tried one personally though.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've got a plastic one. I use it sometimes but prefer the metal one.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
On Amazon, I snagged three plastic ones as back-ups at $6 a pop (I lose track of things a LOT).

I've never had to use them, but I did lend one to a referee at a tournament, and he was raving. I ended up letting him have it because he liked it so much.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Acme plastic ones don't come in " half " sizes. Ie there's no plastic equivalent to the metal 58.5. Just the 58 which is a 558.

Clear as mud!

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I have a plastic 558 and a metal 58.5. Although it isn't a popular opinion, I much prefer the 558 because it is louder, deeper and requires less effort to blow. People say the 58.5 is easier to get a variable tone and that may be true.

One of my assessors recommended I get the Acme 58 which is a wide mouthed metal one. Unfortunately I have looked and looked for one in the sports shops but they don't have them here. Has anyone else used this one?

I think this weekend is likely to be my last weekend for the year, so maybe over the summer I'll look into getting one over the internet.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
One of my assessors recommended I get the Acme 58 which is a wide mouthed metal one. Unfortunately I have looked and looked for one in the sports shops but they don't have them here. Has anyone else used this one?

I use the 58. Got it online from Acme...... (If you have a birthday coming up, then someone can get you one, and get it engraved, for you from Acme!!)

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Very good whistle the '58'. Slightly deeper tone and LOUDER than others. Will chip teeth or give a fat lip if you are in a hurry and careless, easier to clean out when you fall over and stuff it into the mud. Change hands occasionally to avoid one bicep developing more than the other- proper MAN'S whistle this.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
menace,
If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask the question.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just wait for the pictures!:holysheep:

bodybyvi

Banned
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Acme Thunderer no 58.5 is good but most of the time i'd refer to the metal one because of the sound and longevity.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ordered the plastic 558 online and its due to arrive during the next week. Hoping it goes good!