Where to take conversion?

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Fairly minor point but I had a challenge from a team over the weekend about where you can take a conversion from. They said if you put the ball down anywhere between the posts, you can take the kick from the centre line of the posts (even if the touchdown point was parallel with the left hand post for example).

I've checked the laws (9.B.1 b) and sit says "The kick is taken on a line through the place where the try was scored in the field of play", nothing there about being able to move to the centreline if placed anywhere between the posts.

thoughts?

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Someone has posted a similar point like this before. It's a myth. You take the kick in line with where it's put down. Your first thoughts were spot on!

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Someone has posted a similar point like this before. It's a myth. You take the kick in line with where it's put down. Your first thoughts were spot on!

I did ask the player to speak to me about it after the match and we could run through the law book, now I know why he never turned up!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi Paule23. You were correct. I have heard it said that the idea you describe originates in Rugby League, but knowing nothing of that game, I cannot comment. I assume you referee in the West of Scotland? Hardly a League hotbed, so far as I know.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have never come across any historical support for this myth.

A long time ago it was the other way round. If you scored between the posts you had to take the kick out in line with one of the posts.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
I generally have better things to do than haggle over blades of grass, so I'll generally let them go from dead centre unless it was really obviously dotted down to one post or another, or I have a really good reason for wanting to annoy the kicker.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I generally have better things to do than haggle over blades of grass, so I'll generally let them go from dead centre unless it was really obviously dotted down to one post or another, or I have a really good reason for wanting to annoy the kicker.

What a great and constructive contribution, thanks so much for taking the time to reply.