Who can kick

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
I had a situation today that had me thinking. Black had a player in the bin. They scored a try, which was the end of the bin. While everyone was getting in position for the conversion, I told the binned player they could return. He came over to take the conversion (it turns out 90 seconds is a long time for a kick).
So my question, can he take the kick? I can't find anything saying that he can't in the law book or should I have waited until after the kick to signal the player could return?

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Were I faced with that, I would let him come back after the conversion.

The time between the try and conversion is not a "break in play."

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The ball is dead when the try is scored. If he's genuinely allowed back, why not? And once back, he can take the kick. Remember, the try may have come 14 minutes or more after he was binned for 10 minutes. In such circumstances, I think a ref who prevented his return might be in hot water - particularly if the kick decides the match, and is missed by the reserve kicker.

Of course, if the try is scored bang on ten minutes, no-one will know whether the delay until after the conversion is down to stoppages during the 10. But don't delay it just because you can - there are no grounds to view this as cheating, or obtaining an unfair advantage.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
The ball is dead when the try is scored. If he's genuinely allowed back, why not? And once back, he can take the kick.
I'm pretty sure there's a ruling somewhere that says just that.

If the player has served his time and is allowed back on, he can take a kick.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm pretty sure there's a ruling somewhere that says just that.
Yes - it's Ruling 2 of 2007

If the player has served his time and is allowed back on, he can take a kick.
Note that under Rolling Substitutions, a substitute cannot take a kick until after a passage of play. Sometimes this may apply.