[Law] Who can request a kick to score at a penalty?

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Hi all

who, if anyone, has official authority to decide whether to kick for a score at a penalty? I frequently get the situation of everyone looking at each other until someone finally makes a decision or just kicks for touch.

at the weekend I heard a player shout they wanted to kick for goal, which I indicated, then other players wanted a different option and requested to reverse this decision. I did not allow this and enforced a kick for goal.

i believe I am right in law in doing this but maybe not in game management, but what would you do? I can’t let uncertainty carry on indefinitely, and the captain was at centre and rarely near the penalty spot to give a clear decision.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
The kicker can choose. Which leaves it unclear when a team has more than one kicker, or there's a disagreement with the captain, but that's where we are.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's one of those daft laws. How can you be sure when a voice behind you shouts "posts" who the hell it was. Should be captain approaches you and says it.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I mention it in PMB under comms, that I want comms back via the captain, that at least gives me the option to default to the captains decision. Not so easy in open play under advantage when someone shouts "We'll take the pen", but again, it's Captains job two control that too.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
I think this is fairly easy to manage. Know who the captain is and ask him or her. Ignore shouts from random players.

If the player I know to be the goal kicker has the ball in his hands and points to the posts I will go with that as well.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
2017[LAWS]21.4 (c) If the kicker indicates to the referee the intention to kick a penalty kick at goal ...[/LAWS]
2018[LAWS]8.19 [FONT=fs_blakeregular]The kicking team must indicate their intention to kick for goal without delay.[/FONT][/LAWS]
The responsibility has moved from the kicker (who may not be identifiable) to the team. In my book that means the captain decides.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
8.22 and 8.23 still talk about the kicker being the one to indicate, though.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I think this is fairly easy to manage. Know who the captain is and ask him or her. Ignore shouts from random players.

If the player I know to be the goal kicker has the ball in his hands and points to the posts I will go with that as well.

This answer ends the thread. If in doubt, ask the skipper. And then we're done

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Of course the coach can decide by running on with a kicking tee.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Of course the coach can decide by running on with a kicking tee.

or the arrival of sand. ;-). I've never seen sand for this but it's in the laws.
As appeared in last year's Xmas quiz - everyone forgot that if a handful of sand arrives near the kicker then that has locked him into a kick at goal.
Here endeth the lesson ;-)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Can anyone suggest a sensible reason for including this proviso in the laws?

I thought it came after a specific incident where team brought a tee on, the oppo relaxed, and they took a quick tap. It was all a ruse

But it's a silly law. In the community game if the kid acting as TJ brought a tee on, unasked , I wouldn't enforce a kick at goal. (I wouldn't let them take a quick tap though)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I thought it came after a specific incident where team brought a tee on, the oppo relaxed, and they took a quick tap. It was all a ruse

But it's a silly law. In the community game if the kid acting as TJ brought a tee on, unasked , I wouldn't enforce a kick at goal. (I wouldn't let them take a quick tap though)
The opposition should only relax once the referee has indicated a kick at goal.
The referee should only do so once the captain has asked for it.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The opposition should only relax once the referee has indicated a kick at goal.
The referee should only do so once the captain has asked for it.

I agree. I think it's a silly Law. the coach should not be able to commit the team to kick

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The problem in this particular game was one relating to the law stating "without delay". Generally lots of looking around as people in the team debate/decide what they want to do.

I agree using the captain is the best option, and if they are miles away or don't get involved quickly, the option of a kick for goal is taken away as they have buggered about too long.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The problem in this particular game was one relating to the law stating "without delay". Generally lots of looking around as people in the team debate/decide what they want t.

[LAWS].A penalty or free-kick must be taken without delay. [/LAWS]

For me they are allowed a reasonable time to make a decision.

Sometimes the decision is hard
If the oppo complain I would say "you'll get the same time if you need it "

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
[LAWS].A penalty or free-kick must be taken without delay. [/LAWS]

For me they are allowed a reasonable time to make a decision.

What constitutes a reasonable time??????

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Enough time for me to run to the sideline, have a drink and a gel and saunter back to the offense mark?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What constitutes a reasonable time??????

Less than a "delay".

"Without delay" has to be freely interpreted by the referee. "Delays" come in many stripes but you can usually spot them.