Who refs the final?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Give your head a shake.

I'm afraid I can't accept that from someone who thinks Peter Fitzgibbon is an underrated referee.

Perhaps he is underrated, but I'd suggest for good reason.

I would go with NO for the Final as he has more chance than the other front runners just by virtue of being Welsh (and quite good) and hence there is a higher probability (100%?) Wales raching the Final will not scupper his chances.

'87 - Aussie
'91 - Welsh
'95 - English
'99 - Saffa
'03 - Saffa x2
'07 - Irish
11 - Saffa

Given they weren't at the first two and were in the final in '95 and '07 that's a pretty impressive refereeing performance from the RSA.

There's never been a French referee in the Final.

Has Jutge the final say in who gets the gig?:wink:

Last edited:

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Well WB needs to sort out his time management if he wants to get a big gig at the RWC. The organisers would be peeved if their advertising $$ were impacted by a ref stretching the first half out to 50 minutes while teams took huddles mid lineout and stopped play for every minor injury.

Apart from that issue he had a good game, I thought. A few calls either way that could be picked over but most came down to his view of materiality. The one call that stood out as having a bit of influence of the game was allowing the AB player on the ground to pull the ball loose of the defender contesting the ball to pop pass up for a try. Kind of not 'immediate' if your first action is to wrench it free.

FightOrFlight

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
My money if I was a betting man would be on Owens getting the final.

Certainly in Ireland anyway there are a good few ghosts floating around in relation to CJs inconsistency in the last RWC Final and the fact that this dealt the ABs a significant advantage both due to his interpretation of things and also the fact he pinged France for things he was quite obviously letting NZ away with.

The Glen Jackson hype has been around for a good while now. In all honesty he let himself down in the Ire v Aus game. Decisions aside because we all miss a few he looked like a guy that was fast tracked by his union. At times he had the demeanour of a guy who was out of his depth and at certain times he looked panicked. d driving into Ruddock who was bound on his prop until engaged by the Aussie prop. Jackson PKed Ireland which seems incorrect.

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm unsure where this so called GJ 'hype' comes from. Certainly not from NZ. We get to watch him on a regular basis. As soon as he took up the whistle the appointing organisations have gone out of their way to keep him on track for higher honours. It is obviously considered great PR.
That said, he is no better or worse than many at an international level. The funny thing is that originally people got excited because we may have a ref with a better 'feel' for the game considering his playing career, yet you wouldn't know he was an ex player at all by his manner or performances.
Good on him, he's making an OK fist of things, but has a way to go yet.