Who refs the final?

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Who do you think will end up holding the whistle for the biggest game of next year? List your top 3!

For me it's,
1. Joubert - speaks for itself really. He's been the best for quite some time.
2. Walsh - the Northern Hemisphere might hate him but he knows how to let the game flow.
3. Owens - might be in a bit of a rough patch right now but he's the king of player management.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I can see SA getting to the final. Your 2 or 3 for my money as it stands at the moment.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Steve Walsh will be hoping it's a Wales v SA final.
Then the other challengers will be WB & RP

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
My sense is that the IRB consider joubert and owens to he the top two at the moment. So one of them, owens will be hoping SA reach the final.
However there's still quite some time to go...

Can we make prediction for the final in 2019?
Glen Jackson

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
At this rate the Kiwis will be in the final in 2019 - poor GJ has no chance!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

you are right. but the way he's progressing I wouldn't be surprised to find him there or therabouts. Reffing the other semi-final perhaps.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

England win in 2019, as our post 2003 mass 'intake' come of age.

GJ is an inspired shout, it will tick all the "encourage x players" strategic objectives, irrespective of warranting.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If GJ does well this Saturday (Ireland v Aus) I am sure we'll see him in action in the 2015 RWC...

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
GJ seems to get everyone excited simply because he is an ex high level player. Having watched him be 'fast tracked' in NZ, he is no better or worse than many of our other refs, has a reputation for making 'home calls' ("Hometown Jackson" he is known as by some), but has only really been involved in one major fallout which was when he raised the ire of Tana Umaga for refusing to listen to his ( Counties) captain on field yet proceeded to have two way conversations about the game with Piri Weepu like old friends.
Of the NZ refs, I rate Chris Pollock much higher. His game management is very calm and matter of fact without being 'matey' and he is very accurate. Sadly he copped bad press during the Lions series in Oz and seems to be on the outer.
The man we all 'love to hate' in NZ, WB, appears to have removed the one clanger per game out of his repertoire and has finally improved his on field positioning.
If England don't make the RWC Final, I see him as front runner.

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Isn't CP out because of injury?

I think you may be correct. I was wondering that when I typed his name as he hasn't been seen for a while.

Another point though, is that if NZ make the final, I wonder if SW would be considered. He may officially be Australian now, but that was a flag of convenience to start with. Some would argue an NZ bias and some would argue that he had it in for us. Any controversy would raise these issues and the whole thing may be better off being avoided.

NO is probably the frontrunner with the bookies at this very early stage as Wales have no show of making the Final ;)