Why is rugby linked to this

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
browner
I was aware that an incredibly obscure athlete (well, lets face it ALL but about 10 athletes are incredibly obscure) had failed a drug test. But until you drew attention to it I had no idea of any link to rugby

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
browner
I was aware that an incredibly obscure athlete (well, lets face it ALL but about 10 athletes are incredibly obscure) had failed a drug test. But until you drew attention to it I had no idea of any link to rugby

When he emerged onto the international athletics scene his fathers rugby history was often profiled, but that was many years ago.

The BBC are, via their website and their live reporting at the games ( as I heard today) drawing viewers attention to his rugby father. It's they who are highlighting to the non rugby community, they write

Welsh 400m hurdler Rhys Williams is out of the Commonwealth Games after failing a drugs test at the Glasgow Grand Prix on 11 July.
The Team Wales athletics co-captain says he is "devastated" and denies knowingly taking any banned substance.
The 30-year-old son of former Wales and Lions rugby player JJ Williams tested positive for both his A and B samples.
He is banned from all competition by UK Anti-Doping pending a hearing.
"As a professional athlete, I have always supported and have been an advocate of clean sport," said Williams, European champion in 2012."

My bolding.

As a seasoned international athlete with a European Championship Gold medal I find it strange his acheivements dont 'stand alone' & that his fathers rugby history is repeatedly referred to by BBC reports, (est) 95%% of BBC sport news watchers won't be aware of the link.

Last edited:

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
He failed a test = news
His father is famous also news

Not ally sure the issue here?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
As a seasoned international athlete with a European Championship Gold medal I find it strange his acheivements dont 'stand alone' & that his fathers rugby history is repeadly referred to and commented upon by BBC reports.
I don't find it at all unusual, and I read nothing into it.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
its just journalistic colour

didds

TNT88

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
It's political correctness gone mad.