Why wendyball players disrespect referees?

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's always amazed me how football referees give YCs for the most innocuous things, yet they'll have players in their face and bumping them chest-to-chest and say nothing of it.

Just the other day a player was given a YC (his second one of the game, so RC) because he scored a hat-trick and proceeded to jump the fence and sit in the front row applauding.

The same thing happened in the NRL, except we just have a laugh at it, not sanction the player for showing some character.

Football really need to get their priorities in order...

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
the decision seems so out of kilter with common sense that it makes me wonder if there was some other incident in the lead up to the injury - a foul by the injured player perhaps? Would love to hear from the referee.

And do we really need to use a woman's name as a disparaging label for a sport that we dislike in 2017?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

An opposition (Portsmouth) supporter's site, hardy a neutral source.

the decision seems so out of kilter with common sense that it makes me wonder if there was some other incident in the lead up to the injury - a foul by the injured player perhaps? Would love to hear from the referee.

Apparently he was YC for swearing/cursing.

Extreme pain can make you do things that are out of character. I think this referee was extremely callous; the YC was OTT.

And do we really need to use a woman's name as a disparaging label for a sport that we dislike in 2017?

Its simply slang. If its OK for a Politically Correct British Newspaper like The Guardian to use it,

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/may/10/wigan-fa-cup-final-roberto-martinez

then I see no problem. I've been calling football variations on that theme for years and see no reason to change.

However, I will apologise to any Wendys out there who tell me they are offended.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've been calling football variations on that theme for years and see no reason to change.

love to hear the variations. Wogball & poofterball perhaps?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
love to hear the variations. Wogball & poofterball perhaps?

Maryball, Diveball and Oscarball were a couple. Fairyball was my favourite (and how you interpret that is up to you!)

NOTE: Never "poofterball", that's just too crass. Besides which Bruce, there is always Rule 1 to consider (and Rule 3, Rule 5 and Rule 7)

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
It's always amazed me how football referees give YCs for the most innocuous things, yet they'll have players in their face and bumping them chest-to-chest and say nothing of it.

Just the other day a player was given a YC (his second one of the game, so RC) because he scored a hat-trick and proceeded to jump the fence and sit in the front row applauding.

The same thing happened in the NRL, except we just have a laugh at it, not sanction the player for showing some character.

My understanding is that in the UK Premier League Refs 'have no other option' (have we heard this somewhere before on a recent thread), and it's a mandatory YC offence to remove shirt in celebration, or fraternise closely with the crowd. Viz Dele Alli YC last night as the mighty Spurs overcame Chelsea - he didn't remove his shirt, but ran to the barrier and had physical contact with the crowd to celebrate his first goal.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My understanding is that in the UK Premier League Refs 'have no other option' (have we heard this somewhere before on a recent thread), and it's a mandatory YC offence to remove shirt in celebration, or fraternise closely with the crowd. Viz Dele Alli YC last night as the mighty Spurs overcame Chelsea - he didn't remove his shirt, but ran to the barrier and had physical contact with the crowd to celebrate his first goal.

So its mandatory YC for a player taking his shirt off in celbration, or hugging a supporter, but screaming in the face of, and chest bumping, a referee you disagree with is ignored?

And the Premier League wonder why players and fans disrespect their match officials!

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

A few years ago, still happens but it is calming down, there was a lost of crowd trouble at football matches. Players jumping into the crowd (when the fences came down) / inciting the crowd etc was considered part of the problem. That is why football took a hard line of some of this stuff.

Is the hard line still needed? Who knows. But that is, in part, the origin of it.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
So its mandatory YC for a player taking his shirt off in celbration, or hugging a supporter, but screaming in the face of, and chest bumping, a referee you disagree with is ignored?

And the Premier League wonder why players and fans disrespect their match officials!

Indeed whilst there was a reason behind the action. Protecting officials would seem to be sensible too.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
here's another example of why wendyballers don't respect refs

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
here's another example of why wendyballers don't respect refs

Looks to me like he got a YC initially and then red carded for shoving his face into the referees face?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
but screaming in the face of, and chest bumping, a referee you disagree with is ignored?

Not just the premier league though is it - generally speaking its global.

the FA/EUFA/FIFA could stamp down on this overnight. The fact that they choose not to speaks volumes.

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Looks to me like he got a YC initially and then red carded for shoving his face into the referees face?

agree.

though the first YC was ridiculous.

Bottom line it seems is that there is a real "them and us" attitude in football between players and referees.

I hope the same is still not true generally speaking in rugby. (either code!)

didds

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

There's been an edict this season for referees to punish this behaviour with YC/RC. There seems to be less of it than I've seen in previous seasons, in the UK, and there have been some YC for dissent. But it's still there as ingrained behaviour.

Skids

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38729016

Amateur football referee, spat at and punched, is calling for a strike by footie refs in March.

It seems there is little support or indeed concern from the FA that abuse is occurring. Thank goodness this is not prevalent in rugby.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
As I have said before... the FA/UEFA/FIFA could stamp this out overnight.
The fact that they do not illustrates exactly where the real power lies within the game.

didds

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38729016

Amateur football referee, spat at and punched, is calling for a strike by footie refs in March.

It seems there is little support or indeed concern from the FA that abuse is occurring. Thank goodness this is not prevalent in rugby.

Unfortunately he's wasting his breath, while FIFA allow players to openly abuse and physically "assault" referees at the top levels it will happen "in the park" at the weekends!