[Law] Windy days. What can happen?

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Last couple of weekends have seen some horrendous storm-force winds which wreak havoc on our beutiful game.
I think it would be helpful to pre-brief yourselves on what COULD happen due to that wind. Stuff that normally doesnt happen so you'd have to stop and think what decision to give.
Can you think of any situations ?

The 2 that spring to mind for me are :
1) Kick-off restart not going 10m or being blown back. Laws say that if the kicked ball has reached the 10m line but it bown backwards then play-on. So a kicker can restart the game , remain standing on the centre-point and re-catch his own kick ,..... we play on then . Right ?

2) Kick at goal or conversion has to "reach" the plane between the posts to be awarded. Even though it can get blown back and end up eventually back on the field of play. If, at any point , on its trajectory, you judge that it did "pierce" the plane between the posts, then you may award the points.

Any other such unusual stuff please ?

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The other one just came to mind is the ball often gets blown off the tee . Be aware of the differences in law between the cases when this happens AFTER the kicker has begun his run-up to kick the ball and BEFORE he moves toward the ball !

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
And a couple of points about holders for place kicks:
- a holder is allowed and is may lie in any position without being offside
- the holder must be an active member of the team not, as I saw recently, the bloke who brings on the tee.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
22DO that go dead through in-goal (either).
Box kicks blown back into the 22, taken back in.
Be clear about what is straight at the lineout.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes

Watch for where the ball lands rather than how it got there. You are going to have to be 'sympathetic' at times but sell hard on wanting to get a game, and your consistency in such circumstances. On the other hand if they don't put up a jumper you can be 'very sympathetic'

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Box kicks blown back into the 22, taken back in.

Good one. If the kick goes over the 22 but gets blown backwards and back over the kicker's dead ball line the.how do we restart ? I would assume attacking scrum 5 in line with where it crossed the dead ballone ? Do we agree
?

Last edited:

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
On windy days - I tell both captains that I want a contents at the lineout and it has to be contestable, however I will be looking for reasons to play on, rather than looking for reasons to blow the whistle

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Options offered with a smile - but they might want a central scrum 20m out rather than one on the 5m lines.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Good one. If the kick goes over the 22 but gets blown backwards and back over the kicker's dead ball line the.how do we restart ?

or simpler (?)

22 D/O crosses 22 and is blown back inside the same 22 where the defemdoig team kick direct to touch.

Taken back in, no ground?

didds

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Yep, same as 22DO tapped over the line, gathered and passed back in.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Yep, same as 22DO tapped over the line, gathered and passed back in.

I'm sure it would be counted as taken back in, and I do appreciate your attempt to rationalise it - but in your example there are two distinct actions... it's not the 22 drop out that is the action here, but the subsequent pass back that takes the ball "back in". As opposed to no other action that the initial d/o kick etc

didds

MadRef77

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Surely no gain in ground as the opponents never get a chance of competing for the ball in the process...

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
You will get the classic Forward pass calls when the ball is blown forward after initially being passed back, loud call of play on usually works.
Smart players can get really creative with this and I've seen it done.
Line outs are always a problem especially in windy Cumbria. For me if it goes over the 5M line straight, it's play on. For me this is the same scenario as a pass and I can't see anything in the laws that would contradict that.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Teams can get creative!
Pitch playable but pointless playing, agree to call it off.
There are some real downsides to all weather pitches!