Woodford vs. Chelmsford - Last Minute Exchange!

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Got the call from our appointments guy here in Yorkshire saying the original referee has had to cry off due to unexpected work commitments. I have been appointed to the level 7 fixture Woodford vs. Chelmsford in London 2 North East.

Anyone got any advice? Looking at the distance separating it doesn't look like a derby match but could still be intense nonetheless!

Additionally does anyone with local knowledge have any advice with how to get to the club on public transport? I was thinking of taking the district line to Woodford (from St. Pancras) and either walking or taking a taxi there. Are there any buses that serve the club?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I've just looked at the appointments and noticed some poor bugger from London's got Castleford v Doncaster Phoenix!!!!!!:biggrin::wow:

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Blimey! Its the Battle of Epping Forest! Get you Genesis albums out.

Anyone got any advice?
Any ladies walking the touchline wearing the traditional Essex leopard-print coat should be given a wide berth. Check your drinks bottle for Rohypnol and GHB.

Additionally does anyone with local knowledge have any advice with how to get to the club on public transport?
If ST has a match local-ish to him, perhaps he might lend you the chopper? Failing that, I reckon you are better off going to South Woodford station. From there I think you want the W13 which should go straight there: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/snaresbrook-a4.pdf

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Could be worse they could have got Wibsey! I still have nightmares about my yearly punishment there:frown:
I've just looked at the appointments and noticed some poor bugger from London's got Castleford v Doncaster Phoenix!!!!!!:biggrin::wow:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Could be worse they could have got Wibsey! I still have nightmares about my yearly punishment there:frown:

Yearly? You were at L11 for more than a year?

Wibsey got beat 100-0 last Saturday!

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
I reffed Wibsey when I was at level 6 too. A certain gentleman picked up on my love for them and would let me ref them every year. The one year where they lost by 70 points and I locked my car keys in the car was a particular stand out event for me:pepper:
Yearly? You were at L11 for more than a year?

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I reffed Wibsey when I was at level 6 too. A certain gentleman picked up on my love for them and would let me ref them every year. The one year where they lost by 70 points and I locked my car keys in the car was a particular stand out event for me:pepper:

Hoohoohoo!

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Woodford have history (albeit past) of not being exactly friendly to referees.

You're right, that the two clubs are far enough apart for it not to be a local derby. No issues with colours as Woodford play in purple and Chelmsford in Blue.

You could get the tube to Woodford and walk from there - take about 10 minutes. The ground is tucked down the back of some imposing houses and it's not the easiest to find. In essence the entrance track is opposite the statue of Winston Churchill.

Have a good game

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
if u don't fancy the walk victoria line to walthamstow then bus 20 to woodford county high school - thay are nice to refs these days tho spectators have a nice proximate bar balcony to pour scorn from-we're not in the playing area sir so we can call you what we like (;
and its lavender by the way but that probably is purple to you northeners

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
there is little history between the two clubs at first XV level - Woodford for many years were a level six, with us generally being level seven (occasionally eight).

Chelmsford will likely play an open game, but that may be difficult as the Woodford first XV pitch can get quite heavy. the outside backs are pretty quick and, if playing, the tall full back has a monster boot on him.

finally - ignore anything our coaching staff may say to you. they're fairly ignorant when it comes to the laws!

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
if u don't fancy the walk victoria line to walthamstow then bus 20 to woodford county high school - thay are nice to refs these days tho spectators have a nice proximate bar balcony to pour scorn from-we're not in the playing area sir so we can call you what we like (;
and its lavender by the way but that probably is purple to you northeners

That's great, thanks for the help.

there is little history between the two clubs at first XV level - Woodford for many years were a level six, with us generally being level seven (occasionally eight).

Chelmsford will likely play an open game, but that may be difficult as the Woodford first XV pitch can get quite heavy. the outside backs are pretty quick and, if playing, the tall full back has a monster boot on him.

finally - ignore anything our coaching staff may say to you. they're fairly ignorant when it comes to the laws!

All useful information. Will you be there on Saturday?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
afraid not, as i'm on holiday. i'm sure i'll get some feedback for you though!

Bungle

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I had the pleasure of the reverse fixture between these two last season which ended 15-17. Both positive sides & no aggro despite the close nature of the game. I hope you enjoy it.
Woodford also win top marks for sartorial elegance with an array of fine tweed jackets for post-match wear so please don't think a polyester food soiled blazer will pass muster just cos its Essex ...:biggrin:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Essex ref in the clubhouse post match:

essex ref.jpg

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Though other Essex clubs may have different post match protocols:
welcome committee.jpg