World Rugby phased plan to grow the sport

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
thats very fair Balones. And indeed - a trial is a worthy thing because it provides the opportunity to ditch the idea as well as embrace it CF lineout numbers.
But the trial also has to be trialled across multiple strata/levels... CF chest line tackles etc but only in the community game, when it is the elite game where I perceive the issue of upright head contact tackles really exists.
Equally fair comment.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
meanwhile and FWIW I'm ambivalent regarding 20 min v permanent red cards. I cn see arguments both sides. Back in 1992 in Taranaki at senior 3rds there was a law/rule/reg whereby a RC could have the RCd player substituted such that the team didnt suffer because of an individual's actions. It was not to my knowledge abused. So potentially a 20 minute RC may not be abused.
It may of course be interesting as to what happens (holistically) if in a game a RC'd player returns after 20 minutes and the opposition walk off refusing to play against him. (Yes, they forfeit the game under the laws. But in the bigger picture if it becomes a trend... I've no reason to believe that would happen of course. But i can see a side refusing to play against a player that kicked one of their players in the head and is back on after 20 minutes while their team mate is off to hospital).

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I thought that the red carded player stayed off all game, but they could bring a sub on after 20 minutes. Have I got that wrong?

DocP

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I thought that the red carded player stayed off all game, but they could bring a sub on after 20 minutes. Have I got that wrong?
This is how it is implemented. A RC means that player can not return. Another player can come on after 20 mins but not the offending player

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This is how it is implemented. A RC means that player can not return. Another player can come on after 20 mins but not the offending player

@didds so the red carded player wont come back on.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
thanks for the confirmation :)

Harry

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Is this a plan to "grow the game" or just to make more money from TV coverage?

If I was planning to grow the game I'd be looking at schools and grass roots.
Also most importantly player safety, as, we need to keep Mums onside if we want to get youngsters involved.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I think the consequences don't match the action, if we assume that RCs are being handed out for foul or dangerous play.

Here's an NRL example.

Broncs/Panthers Thursday. The Broncs star full back got a head to head contact. In any sane universe, it's a red card - in this one, it's on report.
Walsh went off and stayed off. Panthers player stayed on. The cynic in me still thinks Walsh was targeted.

So, all Ian's use case parameters are met - we still have ful teams playing each other.

Game was ruined, as so much of the Broncs offence and defence organization runs through Walsh.

The outcome did not match the action. And that's what 20 minute red cards do; they minimize the impact of acts of foul or dangerous play. If you don't want the game "ruined" - which is a hyperbolic way of looking at it - get coaches and players to do their bit and adapt.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Doesn’t sufficiently punish outright thuggery? E.G. select a player to take out the game winning goal kicker?
Just a thought off the cuff.
we've had 20 min RCs in super rugby for a couple of seasons now, and I haven't perceived an increase in outright thuggery

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
we've had 20 min RCs in super rugby for a couple of seasons now, and I haven't perceived an increase in outright thuggery
Thanks for info. Is the 20 min RC seen as a success and widely supported?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
The England Women had a red card after 11 minutes today.
So obviously they lost to Italy.

OK, maybe not.

In fact, I am sure there have been other professional games this season where a side won after receiving a red card.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thanks for info. Is the 20 min RC seen as a success and widely supported?
I think so.
Just to clarify because I don't think I was clear. There are now 2 types of RCs in super rugby:
1. If the ref shows a YC for foul play, the TMO automatically has 8 minutes to review and potentially upgrade to a 20 min RC.
2. If the ref shows a RC it will be for egregious foul play, and team is down to 14 players for rest of game

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Can the TMO upgrade it to a full Red, or only to a 20-minute Red.

Can we have three colours of card. Yellow, Orange and Red.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
The England Women had a red card after 11 minutes today.
So obviously they lost to Italy.

OK, maybe not.

In fact, I am sure there have been other professional games this season where a side won after receiving a red card.