Worst fight I think I've seen

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Don't know if this has already been posted on here, but I was sent this by a friend of mine.

Ref must have an impressively sized set of swingers if he continues the game after this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvpMNM8WeWs

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
jacko

thanks for making my afternoon - what an incident packed few minutes !

Good old Romanians, always entertaining. Some real girlie handbag swings and a couple of king fu fans missing and ending up on their arse.

The whole Green team went back at quite some speed from one 22m to their own - not very impressive, bunch of woosies. Lions' 99 call was stand your ground !

I thought the referee did well with whistle, clear separation when they stopped, talk to ARs, summoned the four players and dismised them very clearly and stayed calm with the last one's reactions to dismissal. Cool calm and collected throughout - well done.

And to carry on the match - he gets my respect, but a very brave decision.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Holy SH!T :wow: where do you start?

Green 1 for starting it all, but after that take your pick!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I too think the referee emerged with some credit, although his whistle blowing was almost a waste of good breath. On a wider point, there are many examples [on the www]of eastern European fixtures descending into such violent chaos, I wonder how their union treats the subject? On a separate note, how long did it take for the police to get on pitch........ maybe they were all in the corporate entertainment suite !

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Sorry. Duplicated post.

Last edited:

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
A brawl as bad as that should really mean the end of the game. This wasn't a normal case of a few guys throwing punches, this was all-in with kicking and stomping and all sorts of other nasties. Whilst a restart might have been possible, I personally think the best course of action is to just abandon. Sends a clearer message to all concerned of the consequences of brawling.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Your thread title should be Worst Rugby fighting ever or worst rugby fighters ever

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I thought Green 8 was unlucky. Unless I have misidentified him, he seems to start off as peacemaker, but pretty much stays out of of it.

There were other players that I thought more deserving of dismissal...

Green 10 :norc:

Green 2 :norc:

Blue 14 :norc:

Blue 11 :norc:

Blue 9 :norc:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I thought it was Robbie blowing the whistle again! :wink:

I saw at least 8 'Cantonas'....blue 14 was half of them.. What a gutless wonder. Was he sent Ian? I couldn't tell for sure.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I thought it was Robbie blowing the whistle again! :wink:

I saw at least 8 'Cantonas'....blue 14 was half of them.. What a gutless wonder. Was he sent Ian? I couldn't tell for sure.

On the blue side, it looked like 15 and 5

On the green side, Mr Bumcrack and 8

Blue 14 definitely should have gone. I thought I saw at last three kicks and a couple of swinging arms.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Blue 14 definitely should have gone. I thought I saw at last three kicks and a couple of swinging arms.
I hope you don't mind me asking but how many times did you watch the video? Personally I watched it 3 times before I could see who the worst ones were.

If that ever happens to me, I wish I could handle it like that Ref. :clap:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I hope you don't mind me asking but how many times did you watch the video? Personally I watched it 3 times before I could see who the worst ones were.

If that ever happens to me, I wish I could handle it like that Ref. :clap:

I looked at it three times as well, perhaps looking with the eyes of a citing commissioner, and if I were, there would be at least 8 citings coming from this match.

As for the referee's view, while it is perfectly understandale to miss something that did happen, its a different story of you see something that didn't happen, so unless something happened that we didn't see off camera, I still thing green 8 was unlucky.

None less, you bare right. This referee did very well.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I wouldn't know where to begin watching. Do you try and focus in on a few people to guarantee getting numbers and actions, or try and see as much as possible but risk not being accurate? Do you just abandon the game?

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Notebook out, write numbers down of anyone who catches your eye. Sure, you'll miss things, but the ones you do get will have nice comprehensive reports written about them and you can be sure of not letting them wriggle out of it with "well there was a lot going on, are you sure you got the number correct, he's a boy scout and a choirboy and he's paid all his subs until 2030 and always gets his round in and he's never dropped his trousers on tour, not even when it would have been really funny".

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Dealt with well I agree, but.......

Poor body language from the ref pointing his finger in the players faces, at that point he should be calming down, not antagonising by waving fingers.

Green 1 started it all.
Blue 15 did first kick, then continued by klicking players on the ground.

Those were the two that stood out to me. :norc:

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
my sense of justice says, send off positional no's 4-8 on both sides, and then play on with no water breaks ............ all the fat arses can then spend the rest of the match gasping for air .......... the best punishment possible !!! :booty: surely the ar's should also carry a note pad' , or a instant video device with slow mo playback .... ......:rolleyes:.