Would you award a penalty try on the half way line?

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Interesting discussion happening in my Society WhatsApp... how far out from the try line would you consider awarding a penalty try following foul play?

If the last defender commits a clothesline tackle or a trip near the halfway line, for example, would you consider a penalty try? If a fast winger beats the defence 50m out, I don't think it's unreasonable to think a try probably will be scored.

Thoughts and opinions?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Depends on what I have seen in the game so far.
If I have seen the winger do this before in the game and no one bothered to chase him, then I would consider it.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If a PROBABLE TRY was prevented by the foul play. Why not?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Clive Norling did this back in the 70s IIRC ah, seems it was certainly Australia v Argentina 1983.

On the basis we do see intercept 80m tries scored I could see reason to award one within the "scorer's" own 22 in such circumstances eg an intercept by a fast runner that is tripped as he makes the break

Last edited:

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Clive Norling did this back in the 70s IIRC ah, seems it was certainly Australia v Argentina 1983.

On the basis we do see intercept 80m tries scored I could see reason to award one within the "scorer's" own 22 in such circumstances eg an intercept by a fast runner that is tripped as he makes the break
I had a similar scenario a couple of years ago... my son picked off an intercept deep in his own half and shot off up the middle of the field, only one chasing defender got close to him and pulled him back/down by his shirt collar around the half way line, otherwise he was 100% running the distance, bar a freak trip or a sniper in the trees. As per law 8.3, it was certainly probable that a try would be scored.

I awarded a penalty and immediately thought about penalty try, but before I could voice a decision, my son had already jumped up and appealed for a penalty try... then I felt under pressure not to appear biased or influenced, so I only gave a penalty. I still feel I should have awarded a penalty try.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I got clothes lined in match about 35 years ago about 50m out with only me and my would be decapitator both on the ground. I regained my feet and took a quick tap.

Peep peep peep. You've not taken it from the mark said the referee from somewhere near the 22.

We were about 70-0 behind so I called him a massive cock and walked off - I presume he sent me off. :)

Oh the impetuousness of youth!

That should have been a PT

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I got clothes lined in match about 35 years ago about 50m out with only me and my would be decapitator both on the ground. I regained my feet and took a quick tap.

Peep peep peep. You've not taken it from the mark said the referee from somewhere near the 22.

We were about 70-0 behind so I called him a massive cock and walked off - I presume he sent me off. :)

Oh the impetuousness of youth!

That should have been a PT
You had to maim someone back then to warrant a red card!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I had a similar scenario a couple of years ago... my son picked off an intercept deep in his own half and shot off up the middle of the field, only one chasing defender got close to him and pulled him back/down by his shirt collar around the half way line, otherwise he was 100% running the distance, bar a freak trip or a sniper in the trees. As per law 8.3, it was certainly probable that a try would be scored.

I awarded a penalty and immediately thought about penalty try, but before I could voice a decision, my son had already jumped up and appealed for a penalty try... then I felt under pressure not to appear biased or influenced, so I only gave a penalty. I still feel I should have awarded a penalty try.

Should have reversed the penalty on your son for appealing :ROFLMAO:

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've awarded a PT for foul play on the 50m line. Green attacking on the 5m line and play swept wide. Intercepted by Black winger who was off like a bullet. Green 15 was last man left, came across to cover and shoulder charged the winger into touch. No one else within 25m so PT and YC for the full-back, who happened to be the coaches son, gave me a gob full about not knowing the rules and being a dickhead so ended up with a second YC. Green lost the game by a conversion....

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I've awarded a PT for foul play on the 50m line. Green attacking on the 5m line and play swept wide. Intercepted by Black winger who was off like a bullet. Green 15 was last man left, came across to cover and shoulder charged the winger into touch. No one else within 25m so PT and YC for the full-back, who happened to be the coaches son, gave me a gob full about not knowing the rules and being a dickhead so ended up with a second YC. Green lost the game by a conversion....
Second offence srtaight RED for me.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Second offence srtaight RED for me.
I would have, but the judiciary chair at the time was hesitant to suspend or even call younger players (U18 match) to a hearing as it "might set them on a bad trajectory" and increase their wrong doing. Glad to say he's no longer the chair of the judiciary panel. The second YC resulted in a mandatory hearing for five YC in a season which couldn't be ignored - ended up with a two match ban.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I would have, but the judiciary chair at the time was hesitant to suspend or even call younger players (U18 match) to a hearing as it "might set them on a bad trajectory" and increase their wrong doing. Glad to say he's no longer the chair of the judiciary panel. The second YC resulted in a mandatory hearing for five YC in a season which couldn't be ignored - ended up with a two match ban.
What's the "chair of the judiciary" got to do with the onfield call of the referee? You deal with the offence the DC deal with the red card reports! Anyway the 2nd YC made it a red so, surely, the player still goes to a hearing.

Sorry but, for me the second card being Yellow was a "cop-out".

Last edited:

dskit

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

I had a near identical situation with my son last year - clean break away and (as they say in the NFL) horse collar tackled about 20M out and hit the ground hard. (to his credit he executed a perfect ground off-load pass after he went down).

I agree that it should be a penalty try...my question:

Is the horse collar tackle just a high tackle PK or a potential yellow as it is very deliberate and dangerous?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I don't know what a horse collar tackle is but the HCP should help you:

Attachments

• 20240207_100319.jpg
    20240207_100319.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 6

dskit

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Horse Collar Tackle in an NFL term for grabbing the inside of the back of the collar and pulling the player down. Typically the player will land flat on their back and their head can slam down. I assume that by definition it's a high tackle but is it a yellow card because it is dangerous and would appear to be deliberate?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Horse Collar Tackle in an NFL term for grabbing the inside of the back of the collar and pulling the player down. Typically the player will land flat on their back and their head can slam down. I assume that by definition it's a high tackle but is it a yellow card because it is dangerous and would appear to be deliberate?
you have to follow the flowchart:
1. is the HCP flowchart relevant to the situation?: Yes, as contact was made above line of shoulders
2. was it foul play (ie intentional, reckless, or avoidable)?: Yes, on reading sounds intentional or at very least reckless
3. what was the degree of danger (ie Indirect contact, Low force, Low speed, No leading head / shoulder / forearm / swinging arm)? Sounds like high degree of danger if his head hit the ground but would have to see it to be sure
4. was there any mitigation (ie Sudden/significant drop in height or change in direction from ball carrier, A late change in dynamics due to another player in the contact area, An effort to wrap/bind and having no time to adjust, Passive tackler)? Sounds like no

So red card for me.