Current Referee grade:
Level 2
what is the difference between 4 & 5?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
This is a change. The previous framework:
- had low/high danger, this has low/medium/high
- shoulder charge to head was straight red regardless of danger (with mitigation to YC possible)
- had clearly defined mitigation and also reasons not to apply mitigation
- allowed seat belt tackles to be mitigated to no penalty - this doesn't

Is this now definitive and canon, or is it a case of "give it to the work experience kid"?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I don't think this is instead of, this is as well as. The high tackle framework is very specific in that it focusses on attempts to tackle, or foul play around it (ie attempt to wrap or arms tucked) - so you can use it and get to the same place. This I think is contact with the head outside of that, so ruck, open play, ball carrier forearm fend etc.

Broadly if you use this instead you get to the same place (I would argue a tucked arm / shoulder charge to the head is reckless foul play so no mitigation here, straight red) so you can probably get away with mostly using this instead, but unless told not to I'll use the one that most specifically suits

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As I understand it this runs alongside the High Tackle framework and is for Head to Head contacts that don't fall under the High Tackle remit. i.e. it's a tackle, not a high tackle (with regards to the arms) and there is an attempt to wrap both arms.

I agree with Dickie though, can't see any difference between 4 and 5.
They are saying both have mitigation (fair enough) 4 is Medium danger (Yellow down to Penalty) and that 5 is High danger (Red down to Yellow).

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
none in itself - its how you get to $&5 via decsion tree point 3 low v medium degree of danger.

Is my reading.

Agree, 5 looks to be a higher degree of force - however, I don't fancy making a judgement call on 1 full speed view out in the sticks, if a player stays down that could easily influence that process