YC Advantage?

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
League match.
Yellow versus Black.
Score 0-0.
29th minute of the first half.

Careless high tackle by black 10 about 35 metres out from black's goal line. I'm wanting to YC the player. Yellow want to take a quick tap, make 30 metres and then I penalise them for obstruction. Play has now stopped. I call black 10 over and YC him. The game had been a clean affair.

I'm unsure whether I had the right to allow the quick tap and YC the black 10 at the next breakdown. To me, it seemed like I shouldn't penalise the yellow team for a foul play infringement by preventing them from playing.

What are your thoughts? No one else brought it up, not even the assessor.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I say it's a judgement call on your part. unless I can "feel" that match - really cannot say either way. I tend to use firm and official warnings if the match is clean if it's the first foul play and it looked accidental - but didn't see the dangerous tackle. sounds like you did just fine.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'dgop with you here - the non-black team could be disadvanted from taking a quick tap if you halt the game to go through cards. Yes they may have a better chance to score with only 14 on the pitch - but then they might not have a chance to score of you stop the game and defences get reset.

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Suppose it was a bad late tackle by Black, but you played advantage because Yellow could (and did) score a try. Presumably you would have no compunction about awarding the YC after the try?

I don't think the law requires you to give the card before allowing the opposition to take the PK.

As an assessor I always discuss card incidents. I would probably have said "good decision".

PeterH

Referees in England
Post Likes
i always struggle with this one...
Why stop the advantage - but the law says no advantage for foul play I'm sure somewhere

PeterH

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ignore me...
Cant find it but found this:

8.3 WHEN THE ADVANTAGE LAW IS NOT APPLIED
(a) Referee contact. Advantage must not be applied when the ball, or a player carrying it, touches the referee.
(b) Ball out of tunnel. Advantage must not be applied when the ball comes out of either end of the tunnel at a scrum without having been played.
(c) Wheeled scrum. Advantage must not be applied when the scrum is wheeled through more than 90 degrees (so that the middle line has passed beyond a position parallel to the touchline).
(d) Collapsed scrum. Advantage must not be applied when a scrum collapses. The referee must blow the whistle immediately.
(e) Player lifted in the air. Advantage must not be applied when a player in a scrum is lifted in the air or forced upwards out of the scrum. The referee must blow the whistle immediately.

(f) After the ball has been made dead. Advantage cannot be played after the ball has been made dead.

PeterH

Referees in England
Post Likes
And for OP: :)

8.5 MORE THAN ONE INFRINGEMENT
(a) When there is more than one infringement by the same team:
• If advantage cannot be applied to the second offence the referee applies the appropriate sanction to the first offence.
• If advantage is played for the second offence but none accrues, the referee applies the appropriate sanction for the second offence.
• If either sanction is for foul play, the referee applies the appropriate sanction for that offence.

(b) If advantage is being played following an infringement by one team and then the other team commit an infringement, the referee blows the whistle and applies the sanctions associated with the first infringement.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Peter, I think Adam is talking about a situation where advantage was over between the 2 infringements.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Adam, I think this is one of the "manage it" scenarios, and it would be affected by the general tenor of the game. However, as a general rule, I would not expect a referee to allow a quick tap from a penalty for foul play that warranted a card. I think it is in everyone's interests that the ref stops the game and ensure that the matter is dealt with and issues the card before the game continues. But there is always the exception to the rule and you may have had this.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Think what you did was spot on. BUT. In the absence of Chopper.....

Blue 14 makes high tackle - you want to YC but red take the quick tap. Red the make 30 yards - advantage over. Blue 14 then intercepts a pass races 50m and scores under the posts. Try given - YC to blue 14?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Think what you did was spot on. BUT. In the absence of Chopper.....

Blue 14 makes high tackle - you want to YC but red take the quick tap. Red the make 30 yards - advantage over. Blue 14 then intercepts a pass races 50m and scores under the posts. Try given - YC to blue 14?

Yes, then conversion

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Peter, I think Adam is talking about a situation where advantage was over between the 2 infringements.

indeed... but it answers with law refeence a question i asked elsewhere :)

didds

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
In the case of the OP advantge is a red herring, it wasn't being played - the PK was awarded and a QT taken.

As to Toby's question - yup, try and YC to red, and hope that the try wasn't scored by the player you then card... not a problem for an assessor, probably, but the crowd would hate you...

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
AR's flag foul play and if we will come back and yc - often much later. no issue.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
It is one tough sell binning the bloke who has just scored.

The non-offending captain will be 'keen for an explanation!'

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Oh - he's easy - "Well, I would have binned him before but YOU decided to take the quick tap... "