Yellow Card / Quick Penalty

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I've never had an eager player run to the correct place (eg 15m line after a lineout offence) and tried to go from there!
Most scrums halves make it an unconscious motor skill:
"TWEET"
(Scrumhalf automatically throws ball to #8 at back of scrum)
OR
(Hooker automatically throws ball to tail-gunner at lineout)
OR
(ball appears magically at ruck/maul and scrum-half is off again)

Emmet Murphy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Bryan - what can I say - you obviously ref players with a far better knowledge of the laws than the ones I meet up with :D

Emmet Murphy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Most scrums halves make it an unconscious motor skill:
"TWEET"
(Scrumhalf automatically throws ball to #8 at back of scrum)
OR
(Hooker automatically throws ball to tail-gunner at lineout)
OR
(ball appears magically at ruck/maul and scrum-half is off again)

And as a quick followup, in two of those scenarios you've put there the kick is actually being taken behind the mark and not at it ... the middle one is the only one where the kick is taken at the mark itself.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
And as a quick followup, in two of those scenarios you've put there the kick is actually being taken behind the mark and not at it ... the middle one is the only one where the kick is taken at the mark itself.
No real choice. In 2 of 3 the "mark" is being taken up by huge forwards, typically all on the ground (as OB said below).

Also note that the quick-throw to the #8 at the back of the scrum happens no matter who's FK/PK it is i.e. teams use it to prevent the opposition from quickly reclaiming the ball, and #9s will make the excuse that they thought it was theirs to begin with. This is before you even give any signal (which may be none if you simply reset).

Remember when I say "#9s". Many forward try to tap-n-go from all locations that are nowhere near the mark, then get a cuff across the back of the neck from their team-mate #9, so they don't do it again, but by that time I've generally blown it up and looked at the #9 with a "glad he's not on my team" expression...

Now, back to the Charter:

- Contest and Continuity: a team is trying diligently to play quickly, at or near enough to the mark so that they are not trying to gain any unfair advantage contrary to the spirit of the game...do you really want to stop them so you can make a "physical" mark? Who's actions are against the spirit of the game? If they are at the mark, and have taken it, why blow the whistle? What are you trying to accomplish?

The only reason would be a) b/c the referee is unfit and trying to catch their breathe or b) b/c the game is getting away from the referee and they want to reestablish control. Neither response, although it may be honest, is acceptable.

Are we really going to create a rod for our own back by pointing to where the mark exactly is with our own foot? I will point to the general location, that way teams won't get pissy when the goal-kicker moves 2 feet closer to the posts when they are 40m out...anything within a metre (maybe more so near the halfway line) is good enough. I'll even try to be proactive and tell scrum-halves "in 15" if I feel they want it quickly.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
b) b/c the game is getting away from the referee and they want to reestablish control. Neither response, although it may be honest, is acceptable.

I think there is a valid case for this. Particularly dangerous play occurs, maybe some remonstration from the non-offending team, etc. I'd hold up the QT and deal with the offence there & then.