[Tackle] "You Must Be On Your Feet To Make a Tackle"...Sydney 7's

Donk93953

Post Likes
Found it...

"
  • A player on the ground without the ball is out of the game and must:
    • Allow opponents who are not on the ground to play or gain possession of the ball.
    • Not play the ball.
    • Not tackle or attempt to tackle an opponent.
    • Sanction:Penalty."

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
And will the chopsy commentator admit he was wrong and was just 18 years late? Will he hell. :mad:

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Not Kurt Weaver - I think you are out by a dozen years. I would say some time in the 1980s.

In the 1991 book Rugby Laws Explained, the authors specifically mention it is a recent change.
Derek Robinson does not mention it in Rugby Success Starts Here.

shnipvanwinkel

Referees in Denmark
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
And will the chopsy commentator admit he was wrong and was just 18 years late? Will he hell. :mad:

One would reckon that to commentate on rugby you'd have to know some basic laws.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Hahahhahaaahahaha. *hystericalgiggle*

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Not Kurt Weaver - I think you are out by a dozen years. I would say some time in the 1980s.

In the 1991 book Rugby Laws Explained, the authors specifically mention it is a recent change.
Derek Robinson does not mention it in Rugby Success Starts Here.

Well, I couldn't find it in ye olde foul play #10 or old tackle law #15. My lawbook collection is from 94 -2009.

In 2009, the following is listed and highlighted as a may 2009 change in law #14 formally Ball on Ground no tackle.

14.2(d) 2009 A player on the ground A player on the ground must not tackle an opponent or attempt to tackle an opponent.

this law does not appear in earlier volumes. This is first appearance of law in question in my dusty old books.

Interestingly to me. A player on the ground can tackle his teammate

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
There was a young footballer named Lime,
Who scored for the very first time,
Although he was glad,
His team mates were mad,
He forgot to changes ends at half time!

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
All good fun Didds, until the ref has a brainfart and awards the try.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
did it end up standing? i9e wasn;t subsequently overruled before the kick off?

didds

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
This was 2014.
As far as I can tell yes it stood, and Sydney won by nine points 6 tries to five.
It was the the Stars only win of the season.

It was a deadish rubber, no relegation and Perth's bonus losing point meant neither side would make the play-offs.
Had Perth not picked up the bonus point and Rays won they would have been on equal points - but I have not done the maths to see if Rays could have finished fourth.

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
That is quite outstanding!! I have not see this before.

What amazes me is that the defending captain did not point out to the Ref that it was his team mate who touched it down. He must have been too astonished to realise what was going on.

Although, it seems to be an easy mistake to make. Blue cuff of Rory Underwood's shirt resulted in a penalty for hands in the ruck being given to England in the 1991 World Cup semi-final....

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
One would reckon that to commentate on rugby you'd have to know some basic laws.
A lot of commentators are former players, and as we know a lot of players don't read the lawbook; they just learn the laws as they go along. Eg I never saw a lawbook in over 20 years of playing rugby. I'm still surprised though that a team of commentators don't have ready access to a friendly Ref so that they can be quietly corrected if they make a blatant mistake. I'm not suggesting they get humiliated live on TV, but a quiet word would be good surely. It needn't be a high profile Ref either.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
A lot of commentators are former players, and as we know a lot of players don't read the lawbook; they just learn the laws as they go along. Eg I never saw a lawbook in over 20 years of playing rugby. I'm still surprised though that a team of commentators don't have ready access to a friendly Ref so that they can be quietly corrected if they make a blatant mistake. I'm not suggesting they get humiliated live on TV, but a quiet word would be good surely. It needn't be a high profile Ref either.

If the former player/coach turned commentator, usually at least from the professional level, don't know the Law, and make erroneous statements, the general public, former low level players, coaches, and TV producers are going to be non-the-wiser. Only us few (relatively) learned gentlemen with the penchant for the whistle will know of the error.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Jiffy is mates with Owens. It does not stop him spouting tosh.