Your thoughts

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
I refereed a very pleasant, open and competitive U18 game this morning. No aggro, everyone behaved and home team won 37-19 scoring 7tries to 3. After the game the home coach was quite happy except for two things.

1) said the a team could not take the second penalty quickly. Put him right on this but not sure he was toally convinced.

2) From a restart black go for the ball and the player is taken in the air. He wasn't far of the ground and the red player who took him early was more clumsy than anything else. Certainly not malicious. I gave a penalty and had a quick word with the offending player who was the red captain. The black coach reckoned that it was an automatic yellow card at this level. I disagree and even in professional games we see players tackle in the air without a card being shown. After I gave the penalty the players just got on with the game without a grumble. What do the rest of you think?

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
1. Coach is wrong
2. Coach is wrong.

Explain, if they disagree ask them to show you in the law book, i always take one in the bar with me ;)

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Coach wrong on both counts.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
1. Had you made the mark? If so then coach is wrong otherwise had could have a point.

2. I really dislike "automatic" cards. There has to be leeway for the referee to consider the circumstances. So coach wrong again though he may have seen it differently.

Sounds like you had a good game.

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
I most certainly had made the mark. I explained to the coach that referees often walk to the second mark rather than run/trot/jog. If players can't get back 10m whilst someone twice, three, or four times their age walks 10m then sympathy will be a rare commodity.

Is the laws book something you only find in te rare books room at a library? It seems so with coaches.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
7 tries but only 37 points - bet they were glad they weren't relying on the kicker to get them home!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
7 tries but only 37 points - bet they were glad they weren't relying on the kicker to get them home!

108pts with 20 tries is "best kicking performance" I've presided over! Although they did decline a few.

As regards the OP I'd agree with all the above. You only have to stand and listen to coaches coaching for a bit to realise they've never read the LotG.

It would be "interesting" to know how many coaches have ever picked up the LotG. I would not be surprised to hear it's not many. Until I took the old NFC Pt I & II I never looked at the LotG despite playing for years. I've never really looked at and rules in any depth of any games I've played although as a young fella I always had a go at "You are the ref" in Shoot!

I think I've read the rules of squash whilst waiting for the court to become free - it was always printed on a plastic board next to the door.

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
...........I think I've read the rules of squash whilst waiting for the court to become free - it was always printed on a plastic board next to the door.

I remember doing the same at the swimming pool.

Running, jumping and petting were particularly frowned upon!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Beyond the Fringe included a sketch based on the rules of a public park that included "No lunging allowed".

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2