Where are you this weekend? 2013-14

John3822

Active Referee
Post Likes
Guildford 2nds v Chichester 2nds. First one since New Years Eve, be nice to have a run out:hap:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Tomorrow Millfield v Cymonlogogollan (or something like that) TO3 so will be good fun and a great run about

no game this Sat (out of choice) my son has his first county u15's match against the same school i'm reffin tomorrow, just need to remeber to watch him and not the ref!

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
my game last week finished 18-18.
blue came back from 15-3 we had a long spell at 18-15 with white under massive presure. Blue were held-up twice, etc until with eight mins to go white conceded a PK under the posts (and a YC). Surprisingly to me blue kicked it for 18-18 and then we had a very exciting seven minutes of play with no score. Good fun, and certainly tested my mental fitness.

next week I am back at the same club to do the 2nd XV.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Last Saturday was brilliant. Hard fought game, but with no foul play at all.
Finished 20 all and was the fastest non stop game I have done for ages.

Wednesday I am at Chepstow in the shadow of the bridge for 1 Rifles v 29 RLC, should be another good game.
Saturday is Lawrence Sheriff School v King Edwards Birmingham........another good fast game.

Forgot to mention, my 20 - 20 game included a drop goal! First one for a couple of years.
I was pleased to see it coming and ran in after the ball to be in a great position to judge the score.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Forgot to mention, my 20 - 20 game included a drop goal! First one for a couple of years.
I was pleased to see it coming and ran in after the ball to be in a great position to judge the score.

I had two games last weekend (one Society, one club ref) and BOTH games featured kick where one TJ put his flag up, and the other left it down. I can't remember the last time that happened to me.

I think it was the very low sun making it hard to see.

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
L6 2nd XV cup match this week. Neither teams have a 1st XV fixture (L5 & L6 respectively) so I wonder how unadulterated the 2nd teams will be?

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Yep didn't last long. Off to clacton Saturday.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
L6 2nd XV cup match this week. Neither teams have a 1st XV fixture (L5 & L6 respectively) so I wonder how unadulterated the 2nd teams will be?

i thought that 2nd XV cups could only be played when both clubs had a proper 1st XV fixture. perhaps that's just a local reg.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Nice early contact for the Bugbrooke v Ilkeston (east mids 1) game and I even looked on a map as to where it is! Let's hope the pitch is in better condition than last weekend.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I had two games last weekend (one Society, one club ref) and BOTH games featured kick where one TJ put his flag up, and the other left it down. I can't remember the last time that happened to me.

I think it was the very low sun making it hard to see.

Did you brief them clearly beforehand to only put a flag up when they both thought over and confirmed to each other ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Did you brief them clearly beforehand to only put a flag up when they both thought over and confirmed to each other ?

i didn't - but then my games rarely finish with the same TJs as I start with :sad:

Biropen

Post Likes
The perceived wisdom from years gone by when I was a Premier List AR was:

"if you both agree the call is "Yes". BOTH FLAGS GO UP
If one of you says "No" BOTH FLAGS STAY DOWN.

I have no doubt that nowadays it would probably be referred to the TMO.

Simon may have his own thoughts.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
when they are ARs, though, they are working as a team and have an incentive to come to a joint conclusion.

when you have TJs, one from each team, I am not sure this works. I think an ordinary TJ - who doesn't know the other guy from Adam, will want to keep it simple and express his own opinion. If he thought it went over, he'll want to put his flag up, no matter what the other guy says. And that's probably quite right.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
North Walsham -v- Eton Manor

Should I take my flippers?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Simon how would you advise them to respond if they disagreed?

Protocol as Biropen describes is still applied by our Society To3s and RFU Panel ARs.

club TJs should follow same protocol, just brief them pre-match and sell it in to them

Last edited:

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The perceived wisdom from years gone by when I was a Premier List AR was:

"if you both agree the call is "Yes". BOTH FLAGS GO UP
If one of you says "No" BOTH FLAGS STAY DOWN.

I have no doubt that nowadays it would probably be referred to the TMO.

Simon may have his own thoughts.

Protocol as Biropen describes is still applied by our Society To3s and RFU Panel ARs.

club TJs should follow same protocol, just brief them pre-match and sell it in to them

I don't dissagree chaps but how does one differentiate that signal from both TJ/ARs agreeing that the kick was unsuccesfull?