[Law] More new Laws?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
and striking for the ball doesn't mean you have to make contact with it. Waving your boot in its general direction may be enough?

I hope this isn't going to go the direction of 'intentional knock-on' where we have referee judgement re. was it a 'strike at the ball' or just a foot waving about. Who wants to be the first guy to call this one.

What a distraction from the shit that really needs the referee's attention.

. . . . . and 15 minutes after I post that I watch this: https://youtu.be/Mb_OBplclNk?t=55

Doh!

Last edited:

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I would like to have seen the scrum from earlier and without the commentator waffling so we could hear the calls.
There is at least a possibility that the reason the Samoan Hooker could not strike was that Australia started their shove early - but their is not enough evidence in that clip.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I would like to have seen the scrum from earlier and without the commentator waffling so we could hear the calls.
There is at least a possibility that the reason the Samoan Hooker could not strike was that Australia started their shove early - but their is not enough evidence in that clip.

Note the handling by the Samoan no 8 just as the FK was awarded.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
live twitter chat thing on NOW about the new laws - any questions go to

#AskMattCarley

didds

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Within game time restart would be a 22 (or Scrum option), No option on offer to the team kicking the ball dead.

It is what it is and would a demonstration of a lack of skill on the part of the kicking side? Saw it in an U15 game this season. We all cried, "Doh!".

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
My hmmm was the end of the game scenario.

the reply above says a direct PK into dead ball territoriy is game over. As opposed to direct kick to touch which would be the lineout. So the direct kick dead if over DBL is not a "play on" and thus 5m scrum to oppo.

I had got the distinct imoression somehow that all such kicks dead had to be tapped and cleared to avoid the playon. Undoubtedly that is incorrect!

Finn Russell thought the same as me clearly! (perhaps this is why I thought it!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7p6EGHzXak&feature=youtu.be&t=6825

didds

Last edited:

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Within game time restart would be a 22 (or Scrum option), No option on offer to the team kicking the ball dead.

It is what it is and would a demonstration of a lack of skill on the part of the kicking side? Saw it in an U15 game this season. We all cried, "Doh!".
What am I missing? Within game time defending team take in to in-goal and make dead - 5m scrum to attacking team surely?

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
What am I missing? Within game time defending team take in to in-goal and make dead - 5m scrum to attacking team surely?
i did not see it was the defending side, over their own dead ball line. So my mistake.

I wanted to see it as a defending side needing to kick as far to the opponents goal line and over cooking it!

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Game over, as it wasn't a kick to touch and neither did it go directly into touch. This counts as an unsuccessful kick at goal, IMHO

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
But you can't kick at your own goal?

Didds

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Game over, as it wasn't a kick to touch and neither did it go directly into touch. This counts as an unsuccessful kick at goal, IMHO

My reading is that if it doesn't hit a player en route, and goes into touch, it's a lineout; law says nothing about intent.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Nigib, I think there was a law clarification that if a penalty kick at goal bounced off the post into touch, then it was to be a defending throw.

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Note the handling by the Samoan no 8 just as the FK was awarded.

He appeared to reach right into the Tunnel, rather than the permitted retrieval from under the feet of the 2nd Rows - within GLT [FONT=fs_blakeregular]20.9 (b) Handling in the scrum - exception
[/FONT]

Although given this GLT evolution i suspect it will only be a matter of time before he's permitted to do that too, that is if it's not got to the stage where the ball is simply fed to the 8 in the first place!

#SadDay4Union

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Nigib, I think there was a law clarification that if a penalty kick at goal bounced off the post into touch, then it was to be a defending throw.

Good point - you've reminded me of a vague recollection of a thread discussion here in the dim and distant. Although in this instance it's towards their own posts, presumably to kick it dead, and it goes awry.