Search results

1. Ian_Cook

World Rugby phased plan to grow the sport

The problem with that Dixpat, is that red cards are being handed out for the result of minor misjudgments and timing errors more often than for "dumb shit" or "being a twat". As Balones correctly points out, tired players are also more likely to make bad judgements and timing errors, so reducing...
  2. Ian_Cook

World Rugby phased plan to grow the sport

Everything highlighted in red And about bloody time too. But especially the following Red cards that reduce a team to 14 players for the remainder of the match are having too much impact on the results. Once a player is red carded in the first half, you might as well turn the TV off and go mow...
  3. Ian_Cook

Fdk, deliberate pass into an opponent (?)

I'm aware of that Phil, but it was more or less my point. If you call and signal advantage when the presence of an offside player (a lazy runner) limits their opponent's choices, you have a better chance of nipping that behaviour in the bud. off at the pass. André Watson (who IIRC coined the...
  4. Ian_Cook

Fdk, deliberate pass into an opponent (?)

I don't know how you all ref things these days, but back in the day, if I saw a SH looking to clear in a particular direction, and when he goes to pass, there is an offside lazy runner in the way, so the SH changes his mind and goes the other way, I would call and signal PK advantage. IMO, that...
  5. Ian_Cook

RC issued in the bunker

Well, AFAIK, there is no requirement for a CO to cite a player who has received a RC as its always an automatic citing and trip to the judiciary anyway. For some reason in the regs, an RC from a second YC is not distinguished from a straight RC. Perhaps it should be.
  6. Ian_Cook

RC issued in the bunker

I think he's lucky. I the second YC looked straight RC to me.
  7. Ian_Cook

RC issued in the bunker

Same here, the date of the judicial hearing, not the date of the appeal hearing. It was the panel of the judicial hearing that overturned his RC, and that is the hearing they go back to. This is because the appeal hearing panel have deemed the judicial panel were incorrect to overturn the RC...
  8. Ian_Cook

RC issued in the bunker

Not really. Had the judiciary hearing not incorrectly overturned his RC, his ban would have included that match. Its hardly OF's fault that the hearing cocked it up. Think of it this way.. if you get found guilyy of a crime and get four years, and you appeal but are unsuccessful, they dont...
  9. Ian_Cook

RC issued in the bunker

Which one is the oxymoron respected <> Murray Kinsella, or journalist <> Murray Kinsella I'd say its a triple oxymoron! (Actually I feel the same way about Mark Reason. A friend of my once told me that he didn't think Mark Reason was a sports journalist's arse-hole. but I stood up for Mark...
  10. Ian_Cook

RC issued in the bunker

They must have taken his previous behaviour into account. Apparently, he's never been sent off. (for the removal of doubt, that was sarcasm) Seriously, how does this guy keep getting away with shoulder charges? I have looked at the video over and over, and I can't see how they conclude that...
  11. Ian_Cook

Mallia's charge on D Williams

Firstly, it probably won't remain empty, but remember this would apply to different types of kicks... 1. the down field clearance and chase 2. The midfield bomb 3. The attacking bomb to land on or near the goal line 4. The 28 metre kick 5. The chip over the defense - In the case of 1 and 2...
  12. Ian_Cook

I may sound like a broken record here, but I think something akin to the basketball rules about jumping players would be useful to think about for these situations, and with small amendments, they could be made to apply equally well to both a player who has just kicked the ball ahead and is...
  13. Ian_Cook

This is a difficult one. 1. There is no law forbidding a defender jumping to charge down a kick 2. The charge down was successful (the Blue player blocked the kick) 3. Is the blue player really expected to vanish into thin air? Refs get it drummed into them that the player in the air is to be...
  14. Ian_Cook

Chiefs v Brumbies

If that is the ball we can seetucked under the arm of the player on the ground wearing the orange skull-cap, then IMO, black seven would have to go well out of his way to come in at the side. All he has to do from his position is step forward, bend over and grab the ball! Disclaimer: I haven't...
  15. Ian_Cook

that haka again..

Athletic Park. I was there in the Millard Stand. It was blowing a gale, and chucking it down. The All Blacks played dry-weather, sunshine rugby on a very wet track. The Wobblies never stood a chance! BTW, when Wales tried to mess with the All Blacks over the Haka in 2006, they also got flogged...
  16. Ian_Cook

that haka again..

Well I can see that you've never sat through the Argentine National Anthem! The crowd thinks its done and dusted at the one minute mark.... but wait... there's more! For mine, I'd be quite happy to do away with our national anthem pre-match, and just have the players Haka! We can also do...
  17. Ian_Cook

High tackles whilst diving for a try

I like all of this except the highlighted. Given the OP's scenario, I'm not sure that a PT is justified. According to the Law Definitions... Penalty try: Awarded when, in the opinion of the referee, a try probably would have been scored (or scored in a more advantageous position) if not for an...
  18. Ian_Cook

Orange Card

Same here. For Super Rugby and all test matches, the TMO booth has access to all camera feeds at the ground, and all of the cameras video streams are digitally recorded to their own channels and synced with each other. The technical assistant can play back anything the TMO wants to see. The...
  19. Ian_Cook

Orange Card

Perfect example in tonight's Crusaders v Blues match... Fast forward to 4:05 Foul play in the lead-up to the Leicester Fainga'anuku try. Referee takes one look from one angle - decides that the shoulder to head contact meets the minimum threashhold for at least a YC. He bins the player, asks...
  20. Ian_Cook

Orange Card

Perhaps, but it would only look feeble to those who did not understand. The whole point of the proposal was to speed up the game, and put an end to the protracted length of time spent with all the players standing around while the refeeree and two ARs are watching endless replays trying to make...