Search results

1. W

Where are you this weekend - 2023/24?

Today - a rare ish rest day. Suspect I may have finished my Saturday appointments for the season, but we’ll see what next weekend brings Sunday - in the middle of the Lancashire U16 Bowl final up in Fylde, and AR1 for the U14s and U15s before that. Going to be a long day but cannot wait!
  2. W

This weekend - two games. Saturday sees me travel to a club I have never been to: L10 - Newton le Willows 1 v Crosby St Mary’s 1 - a big top of the table clash between 2nd and 4th - suspect whoever wins will make a late charge for promotion in the NOWIRUL. Then on Sunday a Colts Cup...
  3. W

This weekend: Counties 3 ADM Lancs/Cheshire - Burnley v Wigan 5th v 2nd. Wigan potentially up to Counties 2 once the magic promotion/relegation generator is decided
  4. W

I survived them - pitches were beyond atrocious. L8 Colts game was a dream - ended 28-28 This weekend - L10 Counties 4 game - the home team who hadn't won all season won convincingly in the second half, then a L8 Colts Cup match that the Home team won convincingly as well.. No rugby next...
  5. W

Been a while since I've posted - life got in the way - got a mini promotion up to 9/1 in December, to then have to cry off multiple games to a nasty chest infection. Meant to be doing top v bottom in Counties 3 on Saturday, but text received to say pitch underwater - pitch inspection tomorrow...
  6. W

Whostheref watch app

I love the WTR watch app - think it's brilliant and dare I say during a tournament setting - I probably would be brave enough to just use the watch now rather than a score card. Only thing I find annoying is when I'm tracking my distance - I've had to spend ages optimising my Apple Watch...
  7. W

They are now - we were Level 8 until last season... I'm full time reffing this season anyway - can't improve my fitness base beyond where I'm at otherwise! Fixtures this weekend: L7 - Lancaster Royal Grammar 1st XV v Barnard Castle 1st XV L8 - Leigh U17 v Stockport U17 L10 - Leigh Ladies v...
  8. W

I've done it twice... Last season managed to play a full 80 minutes at L8 at Prop, then do an U15, U17 and U18 game back to back... suffice to say I was hobbling around at work all week after.... Saturday and Sunday appointments seems to have noticed I'm crazy? enough to double up - got 2...
  9. W

I'm Manchester! You might have refereed me if you've done Sedgley Park 3s post COVID - we had a fair few Liverpool trips? Or Tyldesley if you did Orrell last season... That derby will be a nice spicy one!
  10. W

Last Weekend: Saturday - 3 games (appointed to do 2, rock up at 2nd club to find the game after mine has no ref and I bravely say I’ll do it) L7 - Bolton School v Manchester Grammar L9 - Broughton Park Women v Liverpool St Helens Women L11 - Broughton Park 3s v Trentham 2s Sunday - crawling...
  11. W

Clitheroe 2 v Ormskirk 2 on Saturday - L10 game - both teams undefeated, and always love a good trip to Clitheroe! Littleborough U18s v Wigan U18s on Sunday - L8 colts game. Wigan were phenomenal last season as an U17 side when I reffed them, while every time I've been appointed to Littleborough...
  12. W

As promised… Friday night is off… Saturday morning - I’ve been moved to a ‘proper L7’ schools friendly Nothing about the games after that…
  13. W

4 games on the books this weekend - I'd put money on me only having 1... Friday Night L10 Ladies Friendly - away side have cried off and the home side are trying to find opponents. Saturday Morning L9 School 2XV Friendly - it's not on either Schools fixture page though... Saturday Afternoon...
  14. W

How's things going in your area?

On reappointments in my society this Saturday - been surprisingly few cancellations, but we have only just covered every league game, thanks to those cancellations and help from other societies… This season becomes very stop start after September though so I suspect we’ll end up losing teams to...
  15. W

This is way better than my explanation. It is 100% about safety. I’m also speaking as one of the tackle height champions, but I’ve tried to tweak the RFU guidance to make more sense to how players actually talk; without changing the substantive content. The challenge is communicating that to...
  16. W

I imagine it's where I'm not using the correct terminology well, but its not like we've been given the best ways to describe it. My briefing on Sunday was 'if you are the second player going in, you can go for the ball, but you can't go through the ball' - players seemed to get that and respond...
  17. W

We've been told that while if a second tackler wants to go for a ball, as long as it's a single 'rip' then it's fine. There's not likely to be a degree of danger in terms of head to head collision so we can usually allow it to happen. Obviously if there is a degree of danger then they are liable...
  18. W

Jersey Colour Issues for Comms ... any advice?

Feel free to try and say 'leave it Winnington Park 7' loudly and fast when at a break down and see how it goes! I either use colours or sometimes shortened variations of names if it works/the clubs use them too - e.g. Sedgley Park often becomes Sedge... I did use 'Gold' for the first time ever...
  19. W

Partly because I am the fittest I've ever been (5K PB last week... although my Bronco test attempt says otherwise) Partly because the ball 'n' all tackle is diminished and far more off-loads were happening... equally some players were enjoying the fact that we can legally allow a single...
  20. W

Back to full-time reffing this season having done a hybrid playing/reffing role for the previous two years... got sick and tired of not being able to consistently train in the gym during the week First two pre-season games done - Macclesfield U18 v Winnington Park U18 - L7/8 Colts Game Crewe &...