Where are you this weekend - 2023/24?

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Last Weekend:

Saturday - 3 games (appointed to do 2, rock up at 2nd club to find the game after mine has no ref and I bravely say I’ll do it)
L7 - Bolton School v Manchester Grammar
L9 - Broughton Park Women v Liverpool St Helens Women
L11 - Broughton Park 3s v Trentham 2s

Sunday - crawling around to do Tyldelsey U17 v New Brighton U17

This weekend -
L8 - Tarleton 2 v Rochdale 2
L8/9 Eccles Women v Birkenhead Park Women
We are sharing the same patch :D Are you Liverpool or Manchester? (I'm Liverpool)
I've got a local school derby on Saturday, Birkenhead vs Wirral.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Big Ten Universities rugby (D1A)

AR for Purdue @ Illinois
Center for the B side (the league has a separate competition for B sides)

Supposed to be another warm and sunny day (forecast says 83F around kickoff)

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Big Ten Universities rugby (D1A)

AR for Purdue @ Illinois
Center for the B side (the league has a separate competition for B sides)

Supposed to be another warm and sunny day (forecast says 83F around kickoff)
Make sure you wear your cold gear. Players around here would complain it's too cold to play!

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Make sure you wear your cold gear. Players around here would complain it's too cold to play!

...just last weekend, same locale.

Temp in the 80s, sky-high humidity due to the heavy rain from Thu/Fri. Both women's teams asked if I would allow for a hydration break 😄

Men's match on the neighboring pitch, visiting side (varsity program, so a lot of foreign students on scholarship) had multiple players cramping by halftime. Home side (club program) played another 40-60 minutes of internal scrimmaging.

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
We are sharing the same patch :D Are you Liverpool or Manchester? (I'm Liverpool)
I've got a local school derby on Saturday, Birkenhead vs Wirral.
I'm Manchester!
You might have refereed me if you've done Sedgley Park 3s post COVID - we had a fair few Liverpool trips? Or Tyldesley if you did Orrell last season...

That derby will be a nice spicy one!

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Ahh yes. I remember a time when I could do that...not anymore 🥴
I've done it twice...

Last season managed to play a full 80 minutes at L8 at Prop, then do an U15, U17 and U18 game back to back... suffice to say I was hobbling around at work all week after....
Saturday and Sunday appointments seems to have noticed I'm crazy? enough to double up - got 2 Sunday double-ups in the next appointment period...

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Back in the saddle.

Vexillology this weekend.

Nat 2 North - AR2

Preston Grasshoppers v Hull

Hoppers bit of a stuttering start and Hull won 3 lost 2 after relegation from Nat 1 last year.

Fun fact: Hull coached by Mike Umaga - brother of Tana - father of Jacob.

Hoppers have a plastic pitch so that'll be me picking little, black, rubber crumbs from every orifice for the next 3 weeks.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Another 400mi round trip to/from DeKalb

Developmental college women's festival at NIU - clubs struggling for numbers gather and try to throw together two teams and get a game in.

Edit - clarity

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Another 400mi trip to/from DeKalb

Developmental college women's festival at NIU - clubs struggling for numbers gather and try to throw together two teams and get a game in.
800 mile round trip!!?? o_O

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
WADR to you and the excellent service you provide the game, and accepting the US is a LARGE country... thats just ridiculous.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
WADR to you and the excellent service you provide the game, and accepting the US is a LARGE country... thats just ridiculous.

Context - I live in Springfield, which is about 200mi outside of Chicago, and I've been with the Chicago society since 2013. I was actually at the AGM where the Illinois RFU folded in Feb 2013. After that meeting, I reached out to a former referee coach, and he advised me to go with Chicago over Missouri due to the opportunities for growth/development, and I don't regret it for a second (more on that below).

Due to the dearth of referees in my latitudinal area of the state (we just added a second last year), clubs in Peoria (350mi RT from Chi/130 for me), Bloomington-Normal (260/120), Champaign-Urbana (270/160), and Georgetown (310/170) go through the Chicago society for referees. I usually get first crack at those games, but it's also not fair for those teams to have the same ref multiple times per season, so there are some weekends where I'm heading north and another referee is heading south. Over the years, the assigners have done a good job of striking that balance, and if it's going to be a tight/competitive game (Peoria has made the knockouts several years running), they usually send one of the higher-level referees down and get me a challenging game up north.

I can't even imagine the expenses card submitted after the match! 😵‍💫
Just mileage door-to-door, and expenses are logged and reimbursed by yours truly (I have been the Chicago referee treasurer since 2020)

If you really want eye-popping expense reports, I can show you travel expense reports from Midwest referees (I've been treasurer since 2018) - in the fall, there are games in

Minneapolis
St Louis
Kansas City
Chicago
Detroit
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Madison

and referees flying in from as far away as Memphis, Nashville, and Fargo.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Bless your heart Didds :) 550 miles not unheard of.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The furthest I’ve gone round-trip without flying is 600mi - 2018 Great Waters (women’s college Div 2) playoffs in Oshkosh, WI.

Welcome to rugby in flyover country, where the most successful clubs are the ones that can handle the travel - some larger clubs have dedicated vehicles for such trips to ease the financial burden.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I really do appreciate how large countreis like the USA, Australia are ... albeit 30+ years ago I drove across Canada, then down the west coast of the USA. The bussed zigzagging from LA to D.C. ... and a few months later drove Boston to the Mexican border... and ive driven around the circumference of Australia, and up and down the middle ...

Its just the idea that somebody needs to spend 6-8 hours driving to referee an 80 minute game somewhat blows my mind... the environmental/ecological issues, the fact that there arent local enough referees... the understanding (and forgiving!) partners, families etc

I dont want this to sound like a complaint - I am seriously impressed that you guys do it - impressed in many levels etc ... iand am trying to appreciate the cale of the vastness and the paucity of refs... I just cant see how its at all sustainable.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As a contrast. I'm in Oz and would decline an appointment > 1 hour drive

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8