Where are you this weekend - 2023/24?

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
here in London, my game could less than 5 miles away AND over an hour drive :-(
(my bicycle is my friend)
Is that true? That five miles could regularly take one hour to drive in London? That blows my mind.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Is that true? That five miles could regularly take one hour to drive in London? That blows my mind.
i was probably exaggerating a little :)

Two weeks ago I went to a school in a dfferent part of london. I drove 15 miles and it took 1h22m . That was pretty bad though .
last week I travelled 4mile in about 12mins

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
i was probably exaggerating a little :)

Two weeks ago I went to a school in a dfferent part of london. I drove 15 miles and it took 1h22m . That was pretty bad though .
last week I travelled 4mile in about 12mins
well, 30 years ago when i lived in streatham vale. the 4 miles to clapham regularly took 40 minutes to drive - in the evening!

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I really do appreciate how large countreis like the USA, Australia are ... albeit 30+ years ago I drove across Canada, then down the west coast of the USA. The bussed zigzagging from LA to D.C. ... and a few months later drove Boston to the Mexican border... and ive driven around the circumference of Australia, and up and down the middle ...

Its just the idea that somebody needs to spend 6-8 hours driving to referee an 80 minute game somewhat blows my mind... the environmental/ecological issues, the fact that there arent local enough referees... the understanding (and forgiving!) partners, families etc

I dont want this to sound like a complaint - I am seriously impressed that you guys do it - impressed in many levels etc ... iand am trying to appreciate the cale of the vastness and the paucity of refs... I just cant see how its at all sustainable.
The paucity of full-time referees in my neck of the woods is not going away anytime soon.

It is not an area that attracts freshly-minted college graduates unless they are from the area, and the rugby scene outside of college has collapsed - when I picked up the whistle in 2011, there were four senior club sides, now there are two (and my local club is struggling to get 15 to practice, let alone play). At the youth level, at its' peak there were 7 club sides, now there is one (that only does U13/U15 right now).

In the Midwest in general, it's accepted that being involved in rugby will involve that kind of travel since it is so spread out. One thing that my local club has done (and I wish they would be more proactive in doing) is offering a "middle" ground for teams from further out, but for a number of reasons I show up to maybe 2-3 practices a year.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
The furthest I’ve gone round-trip without flying is 600mi - 2018 Great Waters (women’s college Div 2) playoffs in Oshkosh, WI.

Welcome to rugby in flyover country, where the most successful clubs are the ones that can handle the travel - some larger clubs have dedicated vehicles for such trips to ease the financial burden.
About 700.

West Point over Easter Weekend.

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I'm Manchester!
You might have refereed me if you've done Sedgley Park 3s post COVID - we had a fair few Liverpool trips? Or Tyldesley if you did Orrell last season...

That derby will be a nice spicy one!
I think Sedgley Park 3s are level 9... I only started refereeing senior games in March this year, so I've not yet graduated beyond level 11, but I'm hoping to move up once I get over current injury and made progress this season... I'll keep an eye out for Sedgley Park fixtures!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
From VA? I'd kill to have that kind of scenery on a long drive instead of corn, corn, maybe some soybeans, more corn...
Tell me you haven't driven the NJ turnpike and Garden State Parkway....

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Tell me you haven't driven the NJ turnpike and Garden State Parkway....
Furthest east I’ve been on a driving trip is Cleveland (2019 Midwest AGM).

TBF, for over a decade I’ve utilized the “avoid tollways” option within Google Maps.

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
I think Sedgley Park 3s are level 9... I only started refereeing senior games in March this year, so I've not yet graduated beyond level 11, but I'm hoping to move up once I get over current injury and made progress this season... I'll keep an eye out for Sedgley Park fixtures!
They are now - we were Level 8 until last season...

I'm full time reffing this season anyway - can't improve my fitness base beyond where I'm at otherwise!

Fixtures this weekend:
L7 - Lancaster Royal Grammar 1st XV v Barnard Castle 1st XV
L8 - Leigh U17 v Stockport U17
L10 - Leigh Ladies v Preston Grasshoppers Ladies

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
One of five society referees doing a Saturday double

Condors at LP - Mens D2, 11am KO
NW Indiana at Woodsmen - Mens D3, KO is 30 minutes after I get there

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Nat 2 North - AR2

Sheffield v Rotherham Titans

5th v 2nd. Titans undefeated with a huge (in all senses of the word) squad and Sheffield with a W3 L3 record.

Titans coached by Gary Pearce formerly of Llanelli, Wales, Hull FC and loads of other Rugby Union Clubs, big and small in Yorkshire

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
After 3 Saturdays unavailable I’m a L8 eye test in Barnard Castle vs North Shields

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Final regular season weekend before playoffs

AR for Wisconsin @ Illinois
Center ref for B side

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In the regional city of Bendigo for the Goldfield 7s. Saturday & Sunday

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
This weekend, I shall be mainly at home packing for our two months of Home Leave. Before we return to Alice for another two years.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
L8 Candy league between Billingham 2s and Morpeth 2s - however Billingham are a Nat 1 team now so anticipating this being more challenging than it’s graded in WTR

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
L8 Candy league between Billingham 2s and Morpeth 2s - however Billingham are a Nat 1 team now so anticipating this being more challenging than it’s graded in WTR

I reffed Bournville's 2nds in a supposed L7 match. Their first team is also in the National Leagues. It was more like a Level 6 and it just made me realise I am happy at my level, from a fitness perspective. Discipline and management was quite easy because they all did as expected. It wasn't particularly fast either, just unrelenting, no knock on's, no breaks.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I reffed Bournville's 2nds in a supposed L7 match. Their first team is also in the National Leagues. It was more like a Level 6 and it just made me realise I am happy at my level, from a fitness perspective. Discipline and management was quite easy because they all did as expected. It wasn't particularly fast either, just unrelenting, no knock on's, no breaks.

It was easily L7/L6 fast, flowing, good discipline and on a 3G. Zero management is required from me and a 92-5 scoreline! I was being watched and it was the perfect game for it as I could concentrate on my stuff.