10s scrum

David J.

Referees in America
Post Likes
I'm advising a 10s tourney director on laws for the game. One coach of a team attending has said that "in the rest of the world" 10s is played with 3 forwards in the pack and 7 backs and that there's an IRB tournament with this configuration.

I've established that the scrum is a 5 man scrum with the second row packing down as locks and am not going to change that. But I've never heard of playing 10s with just a front row. Has anyone else heard of this or an IRB tournament played this way?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
News to me.

In fact I cannot thnk of an IRB Tens tournament at all. Is there one?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Done 3 or 4 10's tournaments.

Never seen a 3 man each team scrum.................perhaps he watches League?

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
David J

Show him law 3.3

My old club ran a 10's that had local interest only. I always encouraged them to call it the 10's National Championship. What would be the harm and who could challange the name? I thought it was a great ploy.

Also, I read an article once about a innovative coach who used 3 front row during 15's. His scrum was small, so he intentionally ended the scrum early as soon as the ball was hooked. This of course was pre "must have 8" in the scrum. I'll see if I can find the article.

Other than that, 5 in the scrum for 10's

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have played in and reffed numerous 10s tournaments and have never come across or even heard of a 3-7 configuration. It is always 5-5 !

The coach is talking b*llox.

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
It is 5 v 5 when I refereed and played in 10s tournamenets last season.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
David J

After further review, the "rest of the world" coach has 7 splendid slight backs and either 3 very good front row or 3 very bad front row. See how his team looks come tourney.

Was this coach a funny talker, or a naive American?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
5 + 5 for me

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
He's new to the area, but I think he's Argentinian.

Oh , maybe google 10's in Argentinia

1st hit, cobra 10's, 3 or 5 in scrum opposing team must match. May be done a little different south of border

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
good get :clap:

Mich the Blind Side

Player or Coach
Post Likes
I played in the Amsterdam Vets 10s at the weekend (part of the Amsterdam 7s tournament). 5 forwards in the scrum, 5 backs was used. It’s a pretty serious tournament with some of the best 35+ teams in the world and several top referees; the word ‘veterans’ is a bit misleading, as most players, including myself, are still serious rugby players.

I don’t think anyone even thought of playing 3 forwards and 7 backs.

What I’d add, just for info, is that the front row players were certainly not all traditional front rowers; I’m a flanker and found my self propping against an ex professional 2nd row who was 6 inches taller than me. Seeing as the scrums are so quick and not so powerful as 8 man scrums, it didn’t seem to be so important to have established props. However, for safety, after I’d been subbed in one game, I was allowed to come back on to prevent a back having to prop. I’d say just make sure the front row at least look ‘forwardy’, but don’t worry too much about depowering if there are no established props and nobody asks for depowering.

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
Resurrected this as attending a 10's tournament at Boroughmuir this Easter ... side throwing into the scrum can determine whether scrum is comprised of 3 or 5.
Might as well pick 3 forwards and 7 backs, as it's a junior event and the scrum is limited to 1.5m push.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
which is pretty silly tournament rules -- as it means the forwards in the squad aren't going to get picked for the tourney, which is a shame for junior players..

we're organising a 10s tournament precisely BECAUSE we'd rather play 10s than 7s, so that all of our boys can realistically have a chance of a game.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Resurrected this as attending a 10's tournament at Boroughmuir this Easter ... side throwing into the scrum can determine whether scrum is comprised of 3 or 5.
Might as well pick 3 forwards and 7 backs, as it's a junior event and the scrum is limited to 1.5m push.

Working on the basis that 7's and U19's use full laws with variations.

How do they square three in a scrum with:

(e) Number of players: eight. A scrum must have eight players from each team. All eight
players must stay bound to the scrum until it ends. Each front row must have three players
in it, no more and no less. Two locks must form the second row.
Sanction: Penalty kick
Exception: When a team is reduced to fewer than fifteen for any reason, then the number of
players of each team in the scrum may be similarly reduced. Where a permitted reduction is
made by one team, there is no requirement for the other team to make a similar reduction.
However, a team must not have fewer than five players in the scrum.Sanction: Penalty kick

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
My lad passed ELRA some 3 years ago and has not gone further with it. He is recovering from a scaphoid operation so does a bit more now as well as coach his Uni's ladies.

"Will you referee a match?" says Rugby Prez.
"Yes" says he (thinks women or maybe 3rds).

Last night lucky bugger ends up doing Uni 1sts under lights at Boroughmuir.:wow:

From the pictues it appears to be 10000x better than any ground I've been to.:mad: