12 min sin bin

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
At disciplinary Hearing, you are given 'credit' for accepting/admitting your offence.

I'd like to see a YC being issued for 12 mins, which is then reduced to 10 mins if the player accepts the referees sanctioning without standing in front of him waving his arms & pleading that he was innocent of the charge.

Such player behaviour treads on the slippery slope towards the sort of things we see soccer players regularly engage in.

Yesterday Kurtley Beale stood in front of the referee appealing the decision, he waved his arms & made out he'd flipped the ball up in a genuine attempt to catch it.

https://youtu.be/IxQFmtR1cYs?t=104

Maybe if there was a consequence for 'acting up' & not respecting the authority & integrity of the referee, then the players wouldn't engage in such theatrics , conversely those who accept decisions respectfully will consider themselves rewarded for their acceptance.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, Ben O'Keefe could have given him a second YC for dissent.
So the tool does exist ....
...and at some point you'd use it..

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Just look who Beale learnt it from! Bloody Chieka! He cant accept any decision against his team. Hes an embarrasment to Oz rugby.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Cheika's win rate is just over 50% IIRC, how long until he is given the boot?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Cheika's win rate is just over 50% IIRC, how long until he is given the boot?

its a tad under 2 years til next WC so, if he does get the Tijuana, it will need to be soonish and who might be in the wings?

Martin Doughty

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Or just manage the situation. I've only had this happen once. I just calmed the player down by telling him that I could make it a red card if he wanted.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
... when push comes to shove do you guys at more prosaic levels actually get this rubbish? If its an elite end problem, leave it to the elite end to sort out - or not.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I find that on the rare occasions a player loses control his team mates shut him up and pull him away

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
its a tad under 2 years til next WC so, if he does get the Tijuana, it will need to be soonish and who might be in the wings?

Someone with a good record, a master tactician and a level headed.

Bob Dwyer? :)

Or Eddie Jones?? :) :)

What about Wayne Bennett - at least by keeping his mouth tightly shut he can't make a dick of himself like MC.

Last edited:

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
... when push comes to shove do you guys at more prosaic levels actually get this rubbish? If its an elite end problem, leave it to the elite end to sort out - or not.

didds

It's fairly established that whatever starts in the pro's eventually filters down to the community game, Even Hooper [capt] uttered some dissenting words at receiving his YC, it's a growing socceresk worsening in the game to my eye.

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Well, Ben O'Keefe could have given him a second YC for dissent.
So the tool does exist ....
...and at some point you'd use it..

We both know that is unlikely to happen & so do players that's why they try such rubbish, I'm wondering how far the extended pleading would need to go for any Elite ref to do such, dancing on the spot? throwing himself on the ground & beating the turf with his fist??!!??

IMO Beale set a bad example to all youngsters watching, it's about time WR dissuaded/ stopped it - Hense my OP [a mildy Tongue-in-Cheik] suggestion, or was it?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Luke Pearce marched Sale back 10m last Saturday for dissent after he had warned their hooker about it about 20 minutes earlier.

First time I have seen that this season.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
IMO Beale set a bad example to all youngsters watching, it's about time WR dissuaded/ stopped it - Hense my OP [a mildy Tongue-in-Cheik] suggestion, or was it?

I saw what you sid there! :wink::wink::wink::D:D

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

didds

How often do you now see players at all levels throwing their arms in the air appealing for things? And where did that start :chin:

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Thats a pet hate of mine and I dont tolerate it.

The game is hard enough to ref without players appealing for things and shouting at you that the opposition is offside or not rolling away.

Im not talking about the player who shouts knock on when he sees it but the player whos trying to influence you unduly.

I ask them in my prematch brief, tell them to stop during the game and then penalise it.

If they are doing their job properly they wont have the time or the breath to be "advising" me.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'm reminded of something BCM666 once said... you don;t get time to talk at international rugby, you are too knackered!
(or summat like that!)

didds

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm reminded of something BCM666 once said... you don;t get time to talk at international rugby, you are too knackered!
(or summat like that!)

didds

Sadly, now the players are 'proper' athletes [!], they've seemingly ample spare energy to protest & appeal at decisions rather than merely blow out of their ar$e .

If I'm reading responses correctly[?] then we mainly agree that such responses should be discouraged.

It bothers me not whether the conceptual 'reward' for accepting decisions is
YC
12 mins - reduced to 10
15 mins - reduced to 10
or
10 mins - reduced to 8

RC
25% uplift in ban - reduced to 0%

if World Rugby would lead on this subject then the game would further distance itself from heading towards the pleading & appealing player posturing's that blight other team sports, and make the future for all community refs brighter.

Dear Santa,
please bring a stop from pro players setting such a bad example to the community players & kids
yours
A Community [& well behaved all year] referee

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Dear Santa,
please bring a stop from pro players setting such a bad example to the community players & kids
yours
A Community [& well behaved all year] referee

you do realise Santa is not real? So it can't happen like that.

(sorry kiddies that didn't know this fact - but your parents have been lying to you. Blame them - don't shoot the messenger)

Try appealing to WR - apparently they are real!?

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
You don't believe in WR, do you? Bill Beaumont is a fairy tale made up by a 12-year-old to give credibility to the laws he wrote.