[Law] 1st half ends with foul play, how to restart 2nd half

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree that in Equity the PK should be taken after the conversion. Is there enough ambiguity in the law to allow that?

I think so. Looking at 10.4 (n)
[LAWS]... the penalty kick is awarded at the place where play would restart[/LAWS]

Doesn't say anything about when it should happen.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I had a "similar" incident about 2 years ago. I'd never though much about it until I saw this thread.

Gold v Red.

Red are defending and in possession. They are attempting to run it out from their own 22 as HT approaches (quickly). Red make a cat's arse of it and the ball is dropped and goes into touch. I blow for HT as Red 14 (he of the shit hands) attempts to stop Gold 11 from taking a QT. The ball is forgotten as the two start grappling. I blow again (louder) as Red 14 lets go a roundhouse right that Rocky Marciano would have proud off - straight on the nose end of Gold 11.

After the two are separated (easily as turns out as Gold 11 is on the floor holding his nose) I RC Red 14. After Red 14 is dispatched. I tell both Captains I'd blown for HT prior to Marciano v Walcott III. Neither the captains nor I were smart enough to ask/realise we perhaps should have started the 2nd half with a Gold PK.

View attachment 3470

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
This is an important point, and means we need to bring some pragmatism into the decision. If the team that will be taking the PK are going to do just that , then I don't really see the point of bringing everyone into formation and going through the motions, just so that can happen.

"Effing ref. Can't believe he missed that punch. Effing useless. How can he ignore that?!" is not the sort of discussion you want to generate on the simple premise of expediency.

See foul play -> address foul play.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
"Effing ref. Can't believe he missed that punch. Effing useless. How can he ignore that?!" is not the sort of discussion you want to generate on the simple premise of expediency.

I see it more as "Captains and [miscreant], here please! You punched one of their players, you're off. Non-offending (assuming he's winning) captain, it's a penalty to you on half way, but if you're going to kick it straight out I'll end the game now."

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

I have carded him, of course.

What I am saying is : I don't see the point on insisting that they all get back to the half way line, and line into formation for a PK, if all that's going to happen is that they are going to kick it off the pitch again to end the game.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
thing is - and i'm playing devils advocate here maybe - if he IS going to kick it out, but then doesn't actually make touch, that deprives the opposition of the kicker (that fluffed the kick) from then catching the ball and counter attacking with it.

Now, I hear the calls about now the offending team benefit - but that's no different from any other PK taken to touch during a game that is fluffed.

Meanwhile, for me, its whether time has been blown or not. If the silliness occurs before that whistle, notwithstanding evenrything about the ball being dead after a try etc, then you can sell the PK in the same half. If the whistle had blowen for ytime 9whether half of ull) that;'s it... silliness aafter the HT whistle can start with a PK on half way at the start of the 2nd half, but if its full time then that's it, tough. Them's the breaks.

I can't support it in law, it just seems an easy way to "measure" it.

didds

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
thing is - and i'm playing devils advocate here maybe - if he IS going to kick it out, but then doesn't actually make touch, that deprives the opposition of the kicker (that fluffed the kick) from then catching the ball and counter attacking with it.

That's true, but I guess it depends if you think bringing all the players back to half way is worth the chance of that happening.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
It is a penalty - the kicker can retreat as far as he wants - so he could retreat to just inside the dead ball line and kick it backwards.

So the ball could be placed such that if it moves it would touch the dead ball line - the offending team would be awarded a 5m attacking scrum but as it is no-side we will head to the changing room.
If for any reason the ball does not move the offending team would be awarded a 5m attacking scrum but as it is no-side we will head to the changing room.

The offending team must stay ten metres behind the mark - so 70m away on a decent pitch.
In fact the closest the opposition could be for any penalty taken this way is 20m even if the mark is 5m from goal and it is a 5m dead ball area.

So I see no reason why a captain should not simply have the option of no-side in these circumstances.