2009 End of Season Gradings

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Well it is getting to the end of another season, I know we have a few more tournaments to go, but most leagues are now complete. Now is the time when some lucky souls go up, some go down and most just keep ploding along.

Last week I received a phone call from the Society Chairman to say the RPC had met and I was to be promoted to Level 6 for the start of next season. Was very chuffed and a bit speechless, especially as I was promoted to L7 at Christmas. Anyway goals for the summer are to get lighter and quicker, as that is one of the major thing that is holding me back. Not many top level refs are the the size and shape of a tight-head prop!

I will also be stopping playing from next season to concentrate on the refereeing and hopefully following Jacko's lead to the Group (and possibly Panel?). This should help me get more games under my belt, especially mid-week. (What a life we students lead!)

I think the Panel nominees find out on the 7th May and the Northern Group on the 17th May. Anyone else receive some good news?

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
congrats! may I ask...you say student - how old are you?

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
21 years old

[Couldn't write just 21 as it was too short for the message]

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
that's great bru. good for you! keep us all posted!

Scarlet Al

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
WRU grading meeting next Sat. 9th May...

Can't see myself realistically going up, and that is that...

Gareth-Lee Smith

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Alun, in fairness mate I wouldn't expect you to be regraded to Level 3 this season. It's nigh-on impossible for a referee to achieve that in one season.

However, you have made leaps and bounds from your initial standing and you're still very young and could probably make a case for being one of the best young referees in the UK (objectively speaking). You've certainly set yourself a benchmark for next season, and one which you can be justly proud of.

You, Mat and I for Level 3 this coming year...

stuart3826

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've been assessed only once this season - because of my involvement with the GP, I've reffed less than half my usual number of matches. No change to my grade this year - but I did pass the Development TJ course!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I voluntarily demoted myself to level 9 at our recent Society Grading meeting (which I attend as observer to look after interests of our refs).

Just awaiting main Committee approval before we announce all of Hampshire's 'ups', 'stay the samers' and a few 'downs'.

My legs are 'going' as I move through my 50s (get cramped easier, touch of athiritis (sic), can;t extend as much as I did) and my knees will not hold out much longer either. I just haven't got the speed and overall fitness anymore to handle a level 8, even if my management and communication are still good enough for a level 6 (or so Grading Committee said !)

Waynepipmad

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Had an assessment on Saturday to move up to Grade 2 (already a Level 3, Grade 3 WRU Ref, we then work from grades 5P to 1)

All my other assessments have recommended me for this upgrade, however, the `people' in charge of such things wanted to have another look at me, to make sure what they had read was correct!

The upshot of it was.....the guy wasn't too impressed!! the two teams, and both sets of coaches were hugely complementary of me after the game, unfortunatley they don't affect the gradings!!!

So it's a wait and see for me :(

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Congratulations, Sgoat, on this significant promotion - and good luck with your summer programme. I'd take slight issue with the idea that most will keep "plodding along"; for many of us, we'll work our nuts off to be the best referee we can be - whether or not the grading committee considers our effort or ability to be worthy of upgrade.

For the record, Berkshire's plodder notices are not out yet. As far as I know, the same is true of the congratulatory or commiseratory notices.

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I'd take slight issue with the idea that most will keep "plodding along"; for many of us, we'll work our nuts off to be the best referee we can be - whether or not the grading committee considers our effort or ability to be worthy of upgrade.

Sorry Dixie I didn't mean to imply that those who did not get a change in grade were not working hard to achieve one. I meant that they will keep going at their current grade, learning all they can from each match and waiting for their big break (good assessment, appointment to higher level game, taking over higher game from injured ref, etc) where they can impress and show the powers that be what they are capable of.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
No offence taken, sgoat. I knew what you meant!

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I made Panel! Very excited...

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Jacko - many congrats indeed. Awesome.

I suspect very few on here, or even yourself, fully appreciate just what you have achieved, and how very few actually make it to the Panel.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
good work. now go and celebrate with a nice pint of diet coke - got to look after yourself if you want to maintain that level.

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Jacko, as I've said already well done. That makes it 4 from 4 for promotions within the Uni.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
All down to the president if you ask me...

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Many congrats Mr J! Welcome to the club. Good feeling eh!?!

I suspect very few on here, or even yourself, fully appreciate just what you have achieved, and how very few actually make it to the Panel.

Mr Chairman is wise, as ever. Prob won't strike home till about 2.58 one Sat at the end of August when you leave your changing room for your first proper Panel appt. That's when it struck me.

Without wishing to dampen spirits, did they tell you fitness tests are happening at Conf weekend? :Nerv: :wink: