2018 Focus Areas - full version

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
LSRFUR have published a fuller version of the WR presentation - with the videos, which are very important in explaining what is meant. Watch them carefully.

Sigh - this seasons guidelines have been widely announced as 'No New Laws' just a focus on applying the existing laws.

But it seems to me that two of them ARE actually Law changes - and should be in the Law Book and really should have been introduced as trials before being implemented globally.

Those two are :

• if the ball is clearly exposed the ruck is deemed over. That's a variation to 15.17 / 15.18 / 15.9 which describe the conditions for ending a ruck
  • at a tackle a player may have just one foot level or behind the ball, whereas in a ruck he must have both feet. This one is new, and it's also interesting in the context of last season's mono-ruck, which became this seasons tackle-with-offside-lines. What's the difference, really ? Some people said... well there's an answer. Luckily for us, I think this one is too subtle to make any difference in grass-roots games.

Anyway slides are here.
As well as the videos there are some slides covering material that wasn't in the version Phil posted.

Only warning - you have to download it and it's 250MB (cough) so if you're on your phone - wait till you have wi-fi

https://www.londonrugby.com/training-blog/2018/9/16/world-rugby-june-2018-focus-areas

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It looks like London have added their own clarifications to the official slides.

However a couple of them contradict each other.

At a tackle, a player must have one foot level or behind the ball
At a ruck, a player must have both feet level or behind the ball

Back foot
Players must show daylight on the back foot of tackle/rucks and mauls

Level with the ball or daylight between? It can't be both?
Or have I misunderstood something?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
That section was confusing...

The video shows a player in what we used to call a mono ruck, now a tackle with offside lines , who is clearly in front of the ball, picking it up. The commentary says it's ok because one foot was behind the ball.

Is some of that material authored by London ?? I am surprised I thought it was all from WR and your society had left some out, focussing perhaps on what is material for grass roots

On the other hand your Society added a slide of their own ..the one titled something like "no new laws '. So perhaps London did the same

Chinese whispers eh ?

Why are we so poor at cascading . It would be so simple for WR to put the official version on their website

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
where would the fun be in that?

didds

Wedgie

Referees in England
Post Likes
At Kent's pre-season meeting Luke Pearce swished through these at some pace, just for our awareness. We were later informed by t'committee that these guidance's were for Premiership only and us mere mortals in the weeds were to ignore them and carry on as last year...

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
At Kent's pre-season meeting Luke Pearce swished through these at some pace, just for our awareness. We were later informed by t'committee that these guidance's were for Premiership only and us mere mortals in the weeds were to ignore them and carry on as last year...

That's very different from what we have had -- prime billing in the conference, prime billing at regional meeting, and up on our website

That said, some of them clearly are too subtle to worry about.

The takeaways in the weeds seem, to me, to be
- ball carrier rolling in the tackle. I do see a lot of that, especially in youth games
- gaps in the lineout

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
But it seems to me that two of them ARE actually Law changes

can't be law changes as they appear to be UK/England directives only.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That's interesting ... As they are WR alides.
Anyone outside England had them ?

it's feasible that we might get them in 2019 when our next season starts.