2018 Law Focus Areas. Notes from Conference

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I read the slides and watched the video it means if a seagull could poo on it

In this context exposed means the ball has no one over it, or the ball has left the ruck confines.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
still wondering what 'exposed' means
In this context exposed means the ball has no one over it, or the ball has left the ruck confines.

What I THINK it means is that we are meant to use the Seagull Test instead of the Rubber Band Test. :chin:

Eg if the ball is on the ground and between the legs of a player pushing in the ruck, it may pass the Seagull Test of ruck over but fail the Rubber Band Test.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If everyone is one the floor the rubber band test can't be used .. nothing to put the band round ..

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

so is the concept of 'use it' now over? If a ref is inclined to call 'use it' it probably means the ball is exposed and open slather

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
What I THINK it means is that we are meant to use the Seagull Test instead of the Rubber Band Test. :chin:

Eg if the ball is on the ground and between the legs of a player pushing in the ruck, it may pass the Seagull Test of ruck over but fail the Rubber Band Test.

In all the video examples there is no one on their feet, I believe this is the key. The ball is effectively in the open begging to be picked up.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
In all the video examples there is no one on their feet, I believe this is the key. The ball is effectively in the open begging to be picked up.
OK. So we are expected to carry on as normal (with "Use It") if players are on their feet and the ball is at the back of the ruck? :chin:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
OK. So we are expected to carry on as normal (with "Use It") if players are on their feet and the ball is at the back of the ruck? :chin:

Yes, that’s what we were told.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Noting that 'on their feet' means that if they lifted their arms, they wouldn't fall over forwards

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If we reach a scenario where the ball is exposed and the ruck is now over, are we in effect back in open play and therefore there are no offside lines? I.e. opposition players can come round the area that was the ruck and play the ball from any direction?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
So if all these players are off their feet "at the ruck" - why aren;t they pinged for being off their feet?

confused...

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If we reach a scenario where the ball is exposed and the ruck is now over, are we in effect back in open play and therefore there are no offside lines? I.e. opposition players can come round the area that was the ruck and play the ball from any direction?

not exactly - even though the ruck is over, players who were never onside from the ruck - loiterers - can't benefit from loitering

but an onside player can certainly come in from any angle to pick up the ball

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Because if is not a penalty offence to be off your feet per se.
Players must endeavour to stay on their feet and must not deliberately collapse.
However, once off their feet they must not interfere with play and must attempt to roll away.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes

I think the intention is that you can only play the ball from behind it. I think this is what the dead ruck is about - it means there is still an offside line, essentially through the ball as there is no hindmost foot, but not no offside line like open play.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
... but that woldn;'t prevent a player from an onside position attempting to come through and play the ball.

(I may have misunderstood :)

didds

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
... but that woldn;'t prevent a player from an onside position attempting to come through and play the ball.

(I may have misunderstood :)

didds

Correct. And that's the point. Any defender can now come through and pick up the ball which previously may have been regarded as "in the once-a-ruck" as it is in front of the hindmost foot of what was a ruck. So the 9 must now not hang about.
The idea is to increase the jeopardy and the chance of a turnover.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Correct. And that's the point. Any defender can now come through and pick up the ball which previously may have been regarded as "in the once-a-ruck" as it is in front of the hindmost foot of what was a ruck. So the 9 must now not hang about.
The idea is to increase the jeopardy and the chance of a turnover.

Watching professional rugby recently I am seeing a lot more teams protecting their ball in the ruck.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
New guidance from USA Rugby refs dept this season:

If the ruck is clearly won, and the SH uses hands to roll the ball into a better position, then the ball is considered to be out of the ruck.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
New guidance from USA Rugby refs dept this season:

If the ruck is clearly won, and the SH uses hands to roll the ball into a better position, then the ball is considered to be out of the ruck.

Wow ! Not heard that one at my society meetings. Interesting. My view was ball is out when its "lifted" or the whole of the ball has gone behind the whole of the hindmost foot. Now , I am going to have to add this new thing about dead-rucks and exposed balls.
I'll probably just stick to those 3 for now.