2020 - Scrum Engagement change

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So an interesting change in the 2020 book -- 19.10.b

[LAWS]2019
The front-rows crouch, ear against ear with their heads to the left of their immediate opponents’, so that no player’s forehead is up against the forehead of an opponent.[/LAWS]

[LAWS]2020
The front-rows crouch with their heads to the left of their immediate opponents’, so that no player’s head is touching the neck or shoulders of an opponent.[/LAWS]

That's an improvement I think, in terms of safety, but difficult to referee.

Who will put this change into their PMB on Saturday?

Last edited:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I won't as it is clearing up an anomaly from the preseason guidance about "pre-loading"

If you look at the mechanics of a scrum engage and human structure then if you are 'ear to ear' then there is a high probability that the top of the head will be on the shoulder area of the opposite number.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I won't as it is clearing up an anomaly from the preseason guidance about "pre-loading"

If you look at the mechanics of a scrum engage and human structure then if you are 'ear to ear' then there is a high probability that the top of the head will be on the shoulder area of the opposite number.

Not necessarily....it depends on the angle.
Isn't it time to forget about the 'gap' and let them 'set' and wait for the ball!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Has this issue (ie the ear to ear bit permitting preloading etc) seen at the lower levels most of you guys ref at ?

didds

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Has this issue (ie the ear to ear bit permitting preloading etc) seen at the lower levels most of you guys ref at ?

didds

Have seen it a couple of times at L6 and a quick reset and quiet word about maintaining gaps sorted it.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Not necessarily....it depends on the angle.
Isn't it time to forget about the 'gap' and let them 'set' and wait for the ball!

Depends upon whether you want that clear "Set (Engage)" or not. I'm sure there are a lot of forwards who want that contest still, because the "Set" is still part of the contest, IMO

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Depends upon whether you want that clear "Set (Engage)" or not. I'm sure there are a lot of forwards who want that contest still, because the "Set" is still part of the contest, IMO

As a front row, I do not want that to be part of the contest. It seems pointless to me to have it as such as nothing can be gained from it. You're either pushed back but the 9 moves with the scrum to throw the ball into the scrum or you get brought back forward or worse case scenario you get pinged for an early push.

I'm with Decorily, Crouch - Bind - Set just come together no need for a "hit."