23 meter drop-out?

JSAK

Referee, Old Boy, youth coach in Alaska
Post Likes
A 22 drop-out is awarded. The kicker stands a short distance behind his 22 and then proceeds to drop-kicks the ball. The momentum of his forward movement causes him to release the ball so that it actually drops over the 22 from when it is kicked. The kicker oversteps the 22 (with his kicking foot), but still has one foot behind it after the kick is concluded. What’s the call? BTW: do the LOTG state the type of kick that must be used for the eponymously named drop-out?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
What my esteemed colleague was trying to say was :
[laws]13.12 Drop-out incorrectly taken
If the ball is kicked with the wrong type of kick, or from the wrong place, the opposing team has two choices:
To have another drop-out, or
To have a scrum at the centre of the 22-metre line and they throw in the ball.[/laws]

JSAK

Referee, Old Boy, youth coach in Alaska
Post Likes
What my esteemed colleague was trying to say was :
[laws]13.12 Drop-out incorrectly taken
If the ball is kicked with the wrong type of kick, or from the wrong place, the opposing team has two choices:
To have another drop-out, or
To have a scrum at the centre of the 22-metre line and they throw in the ball.[/laws]

Actually I think "manage it" is pretty good advice and that is what I did. I called "play on" when an opposing player threw up his arms. The "wrong place" is the issue here for me. I think the important thing is that the player was behind the 22 when he kicked, although the ball was not. But I don't know if that's correct.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Actually I think "manage it" is pretty good advice and that is what I did. I called "play on" when an opposing player threw up his arms. The "wrong place" is the issue here for me. I think the important thing is that the player was behind the 22 when he kicked, although the ball was not. But I don't know if that's correct.
Disagree. The ball cannot be in front of the 22 IMO.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Disagree. The ball cannot be in front of the 22 IMO.

Well, that would not be consistent with other Laws relating to the 22m, for example when a player punts the ball into touch, it is the position of the player's feet that determine whether the kick was made inside or outside of the 22m area, same applies for the catching of the ball in relation to "taken back" or taking a mark.

As a general rule, if the ball is loose then the position of the ball is what counts, but if the ball is being carried then it is the position of the ball carrier's feet that count

[LAWS]LAW DEFINITIONS
Beyond or behind or in front of a position: Means with both feet, except where the context makes that inappropriate.[/LAWS]

[LAWS]13.1 WHERE AND HOW THE KICK-OFF IS TAKEN
(a) A team kicks off with a drop kick which must be taken at or behind the centre of the half way line.[/LAWS]

For mine, the implication is that the player carrying the ball takes the kick.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For me the ball needs to hit the ground in the 22m
But is it material? If he kicks the ball 30m up field, then it really isn't. On the other hand, if he is doing one of those tricksy drop outs that travel half a metre, then a 10cm error is important

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
For me the ball needs to hit the ground in the 22m
But is it material? If he kicks the ball 30m up field, then it really isn't. On the other hand, if he is doing one of those tricksy drop outs that travel half a metre, then a 10cm error is important

An that's why I agree with didds' "manage it" suggestion. If the kicker misjudges his step forward and the ball contacts the ground a foot in front of the 22m line, do you really want to be a jobsworth and blow it up?.

Frankly, I'd sooner you be watching for players in front of the kicker; an infringement that is far more likely to gain the kicking team material advantage!

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Agreed, manage it.

A quiet word: "10, you were close to being out side your 22 there. Just be a little more careful next time". It's highly unlikely to be material and you come over "Sgt Major" if you call it.

As for the player moaning? "Thanks, but I'll ref the game as I see it."

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Agreed, manage it. A quiet word: "10, you were close to being out side your 22 there. Just be a little more careful next time". It's highly unlikely to be material and you come over "Sgt Major" if you call it.
Exactly.

A quiet word the first time. If it happened again, fair enough he can't complain if he gets pulled up on it. But I think you would come across as a right Jobsworth if you blew up the first time.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
You get to know if players are pulling one (not always but experience helps). If they "get away with it" good luck to them. It will only happen once or twice. If it's C & O and meterial, pull them back even if it is "accidental" - "Way to far infront guys. Let's go again / Scrum * [delete as appropriate].