[Law] 50/22 from a FK

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Im more amazed not tyhat WR dont engage with forums like this one, but that they clearly have no version of their own where a bunch of refs, players, coaches etc sit around and dissect this stuff first.

didds

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I was watching Cambridge II v St Ives and saw my first 50-22, I think everyone else was surprised when the ref gave the throw to the kicking team.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I was watching Cambridge II v St Ives and saw my first 50-22, I think everyone else was surprised when the ref gave the throw to the kicking team.

Had one, almost, in my game today, but was passed back over the half way before the kick. I don’t think I called it as such at the time (work on for me) but did clock and process the fact after some blank looks from the old fella running touch.

Right outcome and opportunity for players to learn though, so all good

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I had one (in 40 mins' play, stopped by a open tibia fracture, rugby incident - the sound of the break caused me to stop play, not much of a player scream!) on Friday evening, from a scrum that was just inside their half. Actually called by one of the players (it must have been a clear PMB!) and given as I was desperately trying to remember which line the scrum had been behind! (There was very little to distinguish between the halfway and 10m lines as they were predominantly mown lines in long grass, without holes in the hard ground for the HW flags.)

Lesson: exempting flag positioning, which for a league match I would have been more insistent on being correct, be more aware of scrum location on the centre of the pitch.

(Also had one held up GLDO, cue "can't be offside in-goal": the other players followed my contrary instructions!)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I had one (in 40 mins' play, stopped by a open tibia fracture, rugby incident - the sound of the break caused me to stop play, not much of a player scream!) on Friday evening, from a scrum that was just inside their half. Actually called by one of the players (it must have been a clear PMB!) and given as I was desperately trying to remember which line the scrum had been behind! (There was very little to distinguish between the halfway and 10m lines as they were predominantly mown lines in long grass, without holes in the hard ground for the HW flags.)

Lesson: exempting flag positioning, which for a league match I would have been more insistent on being correct, be more aware of scrum location on the centre of the pitch.

(Also had one held up GLDO, cue "can't be offside in-goal": the other players followed my contrary instructions!)

Echo the points about flags and pitch markings, I was on our first team pitch, ex football club stadium, perfect pitch, almost flat, can see touch lines from each side, flags and poles on all lines, grass short and lines very visible - all of this I suspect made it very easy for me to call this without thinking.

Bobbly long grass in the sticks that hasn’t been lined in a month and four corner flags only? Not convinced!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Bobbly long grass in the sticks that hasn’t been lined in a month and four corner flags only? Not convinced!

how have you coped for umpteen years regarding the 22?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Badly! ;-)

Its not so much where the kick was from, I’m normally there, ish, it’s more where the kick goes out that’s the new challenge

KoolFork

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Im more amazed not tyhat WR dont engage with forums like this one, but that they clearly have no version of their own where a bunch of refs, players, coaches etc sit around and dissect this stuff first.

didds
You do wonder what process they follow? As you can see here, it doesn't take too many referees to road test law amendments

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

No other line (across the pitch) for 17m in one direction, ideally 18m in the other, but of course sometimes as little as 10-12m, as opposed to 3 lines within 20m.

It helps if the 10m lines are clearly dashed.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
It is telling the law book team credits a graphic designer, but does credit a technical editor.

It needs a professional editor, ideally one who does not play rugby so they do not assume they know what is meant but ask for clarifications.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
It would be nice to think they drew up matrices for new laws to check that all possibilities have been covered before committing themselves to the wording.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
It would be nice to think they drew up matrices for new laws to check that all possibilities have been covered before committing themselves to the wording.

BWA HA HA... oo... no... stop it... my ribs....

Didds

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Now there's a blast from the past.

I'm confused TBH, but I'm looking forward to the TV commentators trying to explain it.
Easy. "World Rugby have said you can get a 50:22 from a FK". :biggrin:

Clarification from World Rugby via SRU.
Well, that's settled that argument then. :biggrin:

You do wonder what process they follow? As you can see here, it doesn't take too many referees to road test law amendments
I've suggested this before. WR could do far worse than consulting a selected group from a forum like this, before coming out with new laws. Lets be blunt, it doesn't take long for someone on here to come up with "What happens if ....."

Exactly.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Just got official clarification from IRFU that YES....a 50:22 CAN in fact be utilised directly from FK without the need for it to be tapped first contrary to the direction we were given previously.