[Law] 50/22 from a FK

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
At my society’s meeting, the question came up of whether a FK could be kicked for a 50/22, assuming the mark was at or behind the halfway.

My inclination is yes, but has this come up for anyone?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
At my society’s meeting, the question came up of whether a FK could be kicked for a 50/22, assuming the mark was at or behind the halfway.

No....from open play only.

RedCapRef

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Does that mean you could tap it to yourself and kick it or does there need to be a phase of play? Would a single pass be sufficient to constitute open play?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Tap and go.....open play once tapped.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It would be pointless... you would still have to bounce the ball into touch... and that is very unlikely for a the static situation of a FK

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

I think the previous answers are wrong, and the answer is yes, a free kick CAN be kicked indirectly to touch and qualify as a 50/22 kick.
There is nothing in the law Trials that says the kick has to be from open play

[LAWS]A player, in their own half, kicks the ball indirectly into touch in the opposition’s 22. Either the team did not take the ball into their half, or a tackle, ruck or maul took place within the half, or an opponent touched the ball within the half. This variation does not apply at a kick-off or any type of restart kick[/LAWS].

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
There is still a bit of confusion. I have been to two matches and the most asked question has been “can you kick 50/22 after a scrum”? (As long as the criteria in the GLT has been met before.)
Secondly there is some misconception over what exactly a ‘restart kick’ is. Some officials and coaches/players are adopting the position that a free kick is a restart kick which is clearly not the case as per definitions.
Apart from at a ‘mark’ a fee kick is given for a minor offence at a set piece. If you can’t kick after a set piece (because you won’t have met the tackle, ruck etc criteria before kicking.) then it is likely that you can’t kick 50/22 from a free kick.
I’m open to persuasion on this one until I receive clarification from a higher source.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i have to say it's hard to imagine a more confusing and opaque wording. How do they end up with such oddly phrased laws?

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Tap and go.....open play once tapped.

Interesting. Red team pass back into their half. They knock on. They win FK at the scrum. (E.g. Early engagement.) Can Red tap/go and kick?The criteria required in law has not been met.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Interesting. Red team pass back into their half. They knock on. They win FK at the scrum. (E.g. Early engagement.) Can Red tap/go and kick?The criteria required in law has not been met.
In what way has it not been met?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The RFU clarifications, which came out as a result of questions to World Rugby say:

This variation (50/22) does not apply at a kick off or any type of restart kick.

A restart kick is in the definitions as "Restart kick: The method of restarting play with a drop-kick after a score or a touch-down", so a FK is not a restart.

There is also a clarification that says "The ball goes directly into touch from a drop out", unhelpfully they don't mention "indirectly into touch from a drop out", which would have answered the FK question. :chin:

NB: a phase of play is defined as "Phase of play: Scrum, lineout, ruck or maul."

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The RFU clarifications, which came out as a result of questions to World Rugby say:

This variation (50/22) does not apply at a kick off or any type of restart kick.

A restart kick is in the definitions as "Restart kick: The method of restarting play with a drop-kick after a score or a touch-down", so a FK is not a restart.

There is also a clarification that says "The ball goes directly into touch from a drop out", unhelpfully they don't mention "indirectly into touch from a drop out", which would have answered the FK question. :chin:

NB: a phase of play is defined as "Phase of play: Scrum, lineout, ruck or maul."

If a FK is not a restart how is play restarted after a Mark is awarded?
A Mark stops play.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If a FK is not a restart how is play restarted after a Mark is awarded?
A Mark stops play.

Look at the definition of a Mark: "Mark: A method of suspending play and winning a free-kick by directly catching an opponent’s kick in the catcher’s own 22 or in in-goal and shouting “mark”."

The suggestion is that a Mark doesn't stop play, it just suspends it, so no restart required?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
No....from open play only.

Not specified as such in Law: "Either the team did not take the ball into their half, or [if it did] a tackle, ruck or maul took place within the half, or an opponent touched the ball within the half."

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
There is still a bit of confusion. I have been to two matches and the most asked question has been “can you kick 50/22 after a scrum”? (As long as the criteria in the GLT has been met before.)

The RFU Clarifications asked specifically when a 50:22 was permitted IF a scrum/line-out was exactly on the halfway line. The WR answer being 'depends on where the ball emerged: if in the half of the team winning the ball, then 50:22 allowable; if they had pushed over the halfway before it emerged, then passed it back to within their own half, then 50:22 not allowable.'

Ergo 50:22 from a scrum/LO wholly within your own half is entirely allowed.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Look at the definition of a Mark: "Mark: A method of suspending play and winning a free-kick by directly catching an opponent’s kick in the catcher’s own 22 or in in-goal and shouting “mark”."

The suggestion is that a Mark doesn't stop play, it just suspends it, so no restart required?

Screenshot_2021-08-16-10-56-38.jpg

"Stopping "

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Presumably, the blue scrum-half touched the ball while the forwards were setting the scrum.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Restart kick: The method of restarting play with a drop-kick after a score or a touch-down

So while "Penalties and free-kicks are awarded to restart play after infringements." (law 20 principles) they are not a restart kick as defined.