[6N] 6 Nations launch event - questions for coaches/captains

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
The French Union’s proposed changes to the tackle law are surely worth questioning. I think we need to take player’s safety seriously, yet I suspect few National coaches will be drawn on the subject.

Then there’s the old chestnut of the HIA
Dr Barry O’Driscoll, the former Ireland international who retired from World Rugby’s medical board in 2014 due to his dissatisfaction with its approach to concussion.
Would you suggest another approach?
BOD: At the moment we have no definitive HIA which rules out concussion. If you are concerned enough to perform a HIA, the player should stay off and enter the RTP protocol. Again, this will have to be assessed at frequent intervals to improve the safe approach.
He is well placed to have an opinion about the current HIA approach. What do coaches and players feel about the idea that the HIA is entirely flawed.
BOD: The Head Injury Assessment is totally flawed. It is designed for players who have no signs, no symptoms or no suspicion of concussion. Who are these players? The reason they go off for this test is by definition that there must be a suspicion. If there is a sign, symptom or suspicion, the regulation is that the player does not have a HIA. He stays off and goes through the graded return to play (RTP) procedure.

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
[LAWS]There is an over-riding obligation on the players to observe the laws and to respect the principles of fair play. The laws must be applied in such a way as to ensure that the game is played according to the principles of play. The match officials can achieve this through fairness, consistency, sensitivity and, when appropriate, management. In return, it is the responsibility of coaches, captains and players to respect the authority of the match officials.[/LAWS]The player charter should be recited morning and afternoon before each and every training session. Until such time as they know it by heart. The referee’s job has been made impossible, because professional/ elite players are there on a pay to win basis. This undermines the Laws of the game completely. Instead of having countless infringements at every break down in play, these professionals sure aim for zero infringements. So just because the referee is not enforcing this or that particular point of law, is no bloody reason for them not to respect all the Laws. Clubs and National sides depend financially on winning. Fairness, and indeed player safety have taken a back seat to financial considerations.

I'll be sure to ask them all to start reciting the player charter accordingly! ;-)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
KML in reality you are going to a publicity event, not Question Time , and they won't want to talk about any of these things .

Ask them about Farrell's thumb, and whether Jack Nowell can play flanker

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
We all know that CR, that is why these events are a load of pointless sycophantic crap.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
What's the question?

- - - Updated - - -

@L'irlandais - The referees wont be there. It's just the coaches and captains of the 6Ns competitions

Should a reckless jump for a high ball give you rights (and potentially an opposition RC) over a player standing his ground on the ground?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Should we stop the clock the first time a scrum is reset and not restart until the ball emerges or a penalty is called?
Nobody wants to watch that Crap!

I do.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I'd be interested whether they've changed their approach to tackling, following the decisions on Owen Farrell's tackle technique in the autumn internationals.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
If I thought I would get an answer I would ask why they permit props to bind incorrectly, push early, bore in and then penalise their opponent for collapsing.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
We all know that CR, that is why these events are a load of pointless sycophantic crap.
I am not convinced that «*obsequious*» is the right word to describe Eddie.(I am definitely open to suggestions for a better word). Time was when I enjoyed the Six Nations, but these stupid Mind games do spoil it for me.
Eddie Jones loves to stir the pot, but does that do justice to what the RFU represents?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
That seems like an unobjectionable interview to me.
Dull, if anything , by Eddie's standards

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Cheers for that Crossref, you helped me pin down the word - insidious best describes his approach. Starts off cunningly in an apparently innocuous way, but the barbs will become blatantly clear as the tournament goes on.

There are two contests against Ireland. One is in the air, the other is on the ground. We have got to win both of those to win the game.
This is an old chestnut from EJ portraying Ireland’s kicking game as excessive, negative. Yet in recent meetings England have statistically kicked far more possession away. Then somehow it’s a positive strategy, by simple virtue of the fact it’s his players deciding to do so.
Elsewhere he has begun mind games suggesting Jonathan Sexton has a «*bat phone*» direct line to referees. That’s a comment critical of match referees and somehow it is acceptable.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Im amazed (WADR!) that anybody listens to this sort of drivel, let alone takes it seriously.

Ditto post match interviews etc .

didds

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hi everyone - am going to the media launch of the 6 Nations tomorrow ........

Did you enjoy the beer battered cod? :drool:

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Im amazed (WADR!) that anybody listens to this sort of drivel, let alone takes it seriously.

Ditto post match interviews etc .

didds
Learnt something new, I did. WADR means With All Due Respect, for a moment I thought you were on about West Africa Democracy Radio (a trans-territorial, sub-regional radio station based in Dakar) But then i quickly realised, no way they are talking about EJ. I am a great believer in «*words have meaning*», Eddie Jones should be employ a little more care in choosing his words.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Going to a publicity event and complaining about the PR guff, is like buying tickets to the circus and complaining about the clowns

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
if you don't like Eddie, send him back. We can use him

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
if you don't like Eddie, send him back. We can use him

Speak for yourself....we tried him once ot twice and he was a dud!
Hes only good if he has the cattle....weve got nuthin!

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Don’t worry menace, I think Japan want him more.