6 Nations Referee Focus.Points

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
http://rugbylad.ie/

Interesting to see Nigel Owens describe how 9s may now get penalised for handling in the ruck.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
"Crooked feeds at the scrum are also set to become a focal point, especially with the new laws in place.

yeah right.

how many times have we heard this?

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
"Finally, scrum-halves rolling the ball back in at the ruck is something that a lot of people have pointed out in recent weeks. Owens says referees have noted the infringement, and will be clamping down this year."

So why havent; they been doing so? why wait until the 6N. And will this now be all levels and not just 6N?

NO is lumbered with being a spokesperson so my cynicism isn't aimed at him. But if its been deemed as needing attention, did "they" only notice it last Monday 29th? If not why haven;t refs been instructed to "clamp down " on it earlier?

didds

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
So apparently returning a ball to a ruck is fine as long as you do it with your feet?

"Something new we will clamp down on is… Scrum-halves rolling the ball back in a ruck with their hands. This has been happening when the ball has been won. Now they must use their feet unless the ball is trapped under a pile of bodies.”

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
So apparently returning a ball to a ruck is fine as long as you do it with your feet?

"Something new we will clamp down on is… Scrum-halves rolling the ball back in a ruck with their hands. This has been happening when the ball has been won. Now they must use their feet unless the ball is trapped under a pile of bodies.”

Hi Rich,
I think that this Is intended to be read as: Scrum-halves rolling the ball back [WHILST IT IS STILL] in a ruck with their hands. . Capitals are my insert for emphasis.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Ohh, my parsing mistake, apologies. Rolling a ball backwards in a ruck, not rolling a ball back into a ruck.

I'd assumed it was about the latter, because from where I'm sitting, there's been far more commentary (eg on the Lions' tour) about returning the ball to the ruck while the offence sets itself up.

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Agreed, and how many times do you see someone penalised for it? I have never see it penalised on a televised game.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think they are focusing in the wrong area. Yes it is technically a law infringement, but if the ball is clearly won surely this helps promote interesting and engaging rugby. Rather than dig around with feet to get the ball in the right position to pass, they use their hands which speeds up the game and harms no one.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
An easy fix would be to call 'Use It' once the ball is clearly won (sooner then current practice). I am seeing this as a problem especially with box kicks, the SH is rolling to ball back to a perfect position taking his sweet time, and forming the phalanx for protection.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm with Zebra on this. It's more about looks than anything. If we're letting them dig for it then what's the problem with rolling it back as long as it stays in the ruck? Cite me a law, Nigel.

How about clamping down on players on the ruck fringe obstructing in an off-sides position.

Slow play from rucks advantages the defenders as well as the attackers so I don't see much advantage in it.So why do they do it? Damn good question.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm with Zebra on this. It's more about looks than anything. If we're letting them dig for it then what's the problem with rolling it back as long as it stays in the ruck? Cite me a law, Nigel.

Cite a law? C'mon. It's hands in the ruck. 15.11.

We all know that we let the 9s break the law, and for good cause.

shnipvanwinkel

Referees in Denmark
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

How about clamping down on players on the ruck fringe obstructing in an off-sides position.

Slow play from rucks advantages the defenders as well as the attackers so I don't see much advantage in it.So why do they do it? Damn good question.

It is offside.

Not off-sides.

This isn't American Sportball.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
We know why we allow 9s to dig for ball, but I think they should not be allowed to let the ball go once they have it. It may not be out of the ruck yet, and they should be protected accordingly, but this ideal of lifting it to the back, putting it down again (or rolling it and then letting it go) and then looking and deciding on the option for what to do is, for me, taking the P.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
On Brian Moore's podcast last week Nigel explained that it's perfectly legal to ruck someone on the ground close to the ball ..ie with your boot
As long as your boot is close to the ball and far from his head.
Legal , but you just don't see it, he said

Worth a listen

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It is offside.

Not off-sides.

This isn't American Sportball.

Sorry, Sir, it won't happen again.

So, is it 'lineout' or 'line-out', 'throw-in' or 'throw in'?

Last edited:

shnipvanwinkel

Referees in Denmark
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Sorry, Sir, it won't happen again.

So, is it 'lineout' or 'line-out', 'throw-in' or 'throw in'?

So long as you use the singular form when referring to a singular occurrence I think you'll be okay.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
So long as you use the singular form when referring to a singular occurrence I think you'll be okay.
OK. Then is it lines-out or lineouts, etc in the plural?

I use lineout - simpler.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

How about clamping down on players on the ruck fringe obstructing in an off-sides position...

Now this i definitely agree with and usually forms part of my PMB. I point out if you want to be on the fringe of the ruck, join from the hindmost feet and you must be fully bound. Standing in front of the ball with an arm on the guy next to you, preventing players pressuring the SH, ping you're offisde.

But as with all PMBs they all nod sagely, say yes sir, then do the exact thing they agree not to at the first ruck.....

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Now this i definitely agree with and usually forms part of my PMB. I point out if you want to be on the fringe of the ruck, join from the hindmost feet and you must be fully bound. Standing in front of the ball with an arm on the guy next to you, preventing players pressuring the SH, ping you're offisde.

But as with all PMBs they all nod sagely, say yes sir, then do the exact thing they agree not to at the first ruck.....

Save the oxygen. Don't make it part of the PMB and then just nail it the first time you think it's necessary

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
"Crooked feeds at the scrum are also set to become a focal point, especially with the new laws in place. Yeah right.
How many times have we heard this?
I saw 3 FKs today alone for crooked feeds. I like it. :biggrin:

Personally, I reckon Pascal Gaüzère had a good game in the Wales v Scotland match. He's growing on me. :biggrin:

Last edited: