6 Weeks for pushing ref

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
What's the point you are trying to make with these clips?

Stephen Elliott

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
this is one with an IRB stamp on... It's tough being a ref!

better go do some gardening now I know that you are never safe and potentially always in the wrong place.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
My wiord - I do beleive I spotted a poster to these very forums having a debate over the merits of opal mining in Coober pedy.

didds

Stephen Elliott

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
What's the point you are trying to make with these clips?

a) clip of the player getting away with shoving a ref - nigel owens in a similar position.
b) how cool is YouTube/Google. They sent me the clip in my weekly round up. or is it scary
c) you can accidentally run into a ref and cause him significant pain and injury and it be an accident - no one to blame.

Stephen Elliott

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
You can, but in this particular case it was no accident.

Never said it wasn't.

my views on the incident
a) player should not have shoved the referee
b) 6 weeks was sufficient -> without knowledge of any other facts / mitigating circumstances
c) it doesn't matter where the ref stands, it isn't acceptable
d) the ref can be in the wrong place, and he was (but he wasn't unique in standing there and a number of other refs have been interfered with for standing in similar places.
e) it doesn't matter where the ref stands, it isn't acceptable
f) sometimes it doesn't matter where the ref stands, accidents happen... and the outcome can hurt just as much if not more.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Thanks for the kind words all, and not :) I've deliberately sat back because I'm not after a fight, and won't be able to offer much of a debate as a mere muggle who just plays / coaches / watches for fun

Anyway, I've only come back to this thread to clarify that to me being 'dumped on his ass' means the embarrassment of ending up on his bum, yes I think the ref deserved that, he made a whoopsie, not however an act of violence which at least one of you very quickly decided that was what I meant (why would I suggest you bought a guy a pint who had just assaulted you?!?)

But that does highlight my point, some of you have assumed I was condoning violence towards the ref, in the same way that some of you have assumed it was a deliberate act by the player, I didn't see that, people outside of here that I talked to didn't see that - if it *were* an act of violence, or deliberate aggression then my opinion on the penalty would be different

That's all - Hugs and Kisses x

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
you've not answered my question though. post 87.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I've not answered a lot of questions! But, just for you, I don't know, I could assume though, like me they become refs because they want to be involved in the game, same reasons I'm coaching the kids, and involved with a club - it's an avenue that fits with the rest of my life, oh and because I'm a fan - are there other reasons?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
because I'm a fan

ok, so you've picked the point i was trying to make :biggrin:

believe it or not, many rugby club members struggle to get this point.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
But that does highlight my point, some of you have assumed I was condoning violence towards the ref, in the same way that some of you have assumed it was a deliberate act by the player,
"Assumed"? Personally I used my judgement, which is what referees have to do continuously throughout a game.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I used 'evidence-based' practices with judgment, and still arrived that it was delibereate! :shrug:

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Epidemic at the minute! RL have just handed out a 3 game ban for pushing the ref
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/26644980

Edit: on further reading it seems this may not have been a push, but "deliberate contact", possibly to stop a retreating referee colliding with him, any one got a video?

Last edited:

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Austin Healey today on BT Sport at halftime in the Saints v Tigers game saying players should tackle the referee into the ball carrier if he is in the way, rather than push them (or ask them to move). Not really a responsible suggestion? Cue 50 referee tackles at the weekend at levels 6 and below saying "I heard it was ok on TV"

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I didn't think anyone actually listened to Austin Healy?

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I don't think many do....! But those that take notice are the ones who may put his suggestion into practice