[Law] Advantage after second knock on by same team

martyperry

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Late stages of a closely contested game near White’s goal line.

Red kicks forward. In rapid succession White 1 knocks ball forward while attempting catch; White 2 knocks on while attempting to collect spilled ball; Red players arrive in numbers with no other White players nearby. Ref blows whistle to award scrum to Red. Asked after the game why no advantage was played, ref says advantage was lost after White 2, and not a Red player, was first to play ball after White 1 knocked on. I read Law 8.5 (a) first paragraph as allowing advantage to accrue to the second offense (in this case the second knock on). How did ref do?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
You are correct, ref should play adv for the second knock on

(aside was white 2 offside ? If he was, would be a PK advantage)

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Martyperry, welcome to the forum. re the OP, don't be too hard on the ref, he spotted and blew for a KO when he probably thought the ball was regained by white. There is nothing that requires a ref to play advantage, so I would say he could have played advantage for the second knock on, not that he necessarily should have.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think red would be pretty aggrieved that advantage was not played for the 2nd knock on!!!!

didds

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
In general if White knock on and regather it is advantage over.
Ref is not expecting white to knock on twice - though that may depend on level.
So it is natural to blow.

If it had not been near the goal line, nobody would have batted an eyelid.

martyperry

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Ref acknowledged he saw second KO and red had taken advantage. Based decision on red not taking advantage from first KO.

The offside issue came up earlier in the match with a white charge down played next by a white player in offside position.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Oh dear.

one for the "myths" section?

With this interpretation clearly the tactic for any knock on is then for the same player/side to make any effort whatsoever to get a hand to the ball - preferably to claim it of course but a finger tip knock on would be sufficient to force a scrum whatever next happens...

didds

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
In general if White knock on and regather it is advantage over.
Ref is not expecting white to knock on twice - though that may depend on level.
So it is natural to blow.

If it had not been near the goal line, nobody would have batted an eyelid.

Camquin, I presume you mean "no advantage gained" rather than "advantage over (and play on)?

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Yes.

Apparently a meessage has to be 5 characters, so I cannot simply say yes

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
don't be too hard on the ref

I'm sure we've all done this.

See the first knock on, start playing advantage, see a player on the same team is going to collect the ball [whistle starts moving towards mouth], yep he's definitely gather... [PEEP!]. Oh crap! Then apologise.

Definitely a mistake by the ref, but IMO an understandable one. I bet he won't make it again, though!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I bet he won't make it again, though!

as he confidently explained his (erroneous) decision in the bar afterwards, it is likely that he will make it again

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
as he confidently explained his (erroneous) decision in the bar afterwards, it is likely that he will make it again

I take it back. I should have read the OP properly!