Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think this is an interesting & thought provoking topic. At least for me

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Therefore, I would welcome your interpretation of my comments and reflection on the law and specific real and contemporary examples so I can truly try to understand your logic.

After a few years I suppose I should be used to it by now and really should have learnt:rolleyes:!
Bud your posts are so long and ciruitous , and obliquely wrtten, I honestly often have trouble working out exactly what you mean!
Perhaps it's just me

Not sure what you think I haven't explained.

I haven't made a bold claim.

There are many many factors we all agree that a ref might take account of, I think that time is one of them.

Several people above have given examples of different ways to handle advantage and/or different approaches to handling time

That's all really.

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It really isn't the same thing! Your tolerance for advantage has to be consistent. I mentioned in #36 that allowing advantage to enable teams to control their own fate is the key, not pulling them back because the time might be running out and you feel they should have the scrum.

What do you do when your watch starts beeping when the scrum or line out is forming? Or the kicker is lining up a penalty towards the defenders' corner flag. I would suggest you allow the game to continue inline with Law 5-Time, the very same Law that provides for advantage to be played and governs how others seem to apply it.

Nope!

One might have suggested it was a 50/50 split on what might focus my decisions but given my posts and the evidence provided I am somewhat astonished to find that you are still wandering off happily on your own little frolic. Therefore, I would welcome your interpretation of my comments and reflection on the law and specific real and contemporary examples so I can truly try to understand your logic.

After a few years I suppose I should be used to it by now and really should have learnt:rolleyes:!
BB you have to realise the Crossref likes an argument. He will take these minutia to the nth degree. Perhaps it is a pschologigal problem, I'm not qualified to comment. In the past he's claimed not to go to society meetings, though he would not tell us why. Perhaps his "line" is so out of kilter he can't handle it. He's back on ignore for me now and the forum is a much sweeter place.

Last edited:

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Amendment to #57:

Law 5 - Time:
7. A half ends when the ball becomes dead after time has expired unless:
  1. A scrum, lineout or restart kick following a try or touchdown, awarded before time expired, has not been completed and the ball has not returned to open play. This includes when the scrum, lineout or restart kick is taken incorrectly.
  2. The referee awards a free-kick or penalty.
  3. A penalty is kicked into touch without the ball first being tapped and without the ball touching another player.
  4. A try has been scored, in which case the referee allows time for the conversion to be taken.

Or if the ball hits the referee:whistle:

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Can anyone explain why we had a scrum in the 81st min in Aus v Por?!?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
and the ref said that as it hit him the scrum has to be played.

That at ;least does make SOME sense... I think!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I kinda think ending the game would have been fair. It's not like one side was on the point of scoring
And if you were the referee and you viewed it like that then that would have been fair.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
1) Safety
2) Enjoyment (nee equity)
3) Law

I thought?
Yes but generally speaking equity and fairness means applying the Law (rather tham making It up as you go along)

Of course there could be an exception made in unusual cases where the Law would lead to a blatantly unfair outcome .. not sure this was one of those